Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by David de la Torre <to...@yahoo.es> on 2009/08/26 10:02:48 UTC

"Read timed out" behind firewall - Ports closed? Loopback?

When running lucene, on a machine with a firewall, I got the following
error message, which I think it must be related to the firewall. In
fact, when I shut down the firewall, the error dissapears. It must be
something relating to the ports I have open. Lucene says it is running
in port 8875. Is this the only port to open? is it a UDP or TCP port ?
Could it also be related to the loopback?

100870 [XML-RPC-0] ERROR org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.WebServer  - Read timed out
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:146)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:235)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:254)
	at
 org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.Connection.readLine(Connection.java:195)
	at org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.Connection.getRequestConfig(Connection.java:126)
	at org.apache.xmlrpc.webserver.Connection.run(Connection.java:171)
	at org.apache.xmlrpc.util.ThreadPool$MyThread.runTask(ThreadPool.java:71)
	at org.apache.xmlrpc.util.ThreadPool$MyThread.run(ThreadPool.java:87)

Re: "Read timed out" behind firewall - Ports closed? Loopback?

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
David,
Lucene is a framework that offers fulltext-indexing and search
capabilities with a very limited support for client/server
communication. The only remote communication mechanism included in
Lucene (I know about - but I'm very confident I did not miss anything
related to that) is the RemoteSearcher which is based Java RMI. Drawn
from the stacktrace you provided the error is somewhere in a xmlRPC
communication. Lucene does not have any dependencies on those classes
so I'm very confident that this error is not caused by Lucene
directly. I hardly recommend you re-ask your question on the
KnowledgeTree mailinglist.

Hope you get help there!

Simon

Posted by David de la Torre <to...@yahoo.es>.