Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alan Cabrera <ad...@toolazydogs.com> on 2013/05/10 19:58:24 UTC

Writing some tooling

I'm currently writing some tooling to help with the incubation process as well as mail list moderator tools.

The first thing that I'm writing is a command that will print out who is the owner of an email alias and what projects they belong to and if they are ASF members.  This will help me vet subscription requests since people rarely use their ASF email accounts.

The tools will be written in Python.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Writing some tooling

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On May 10, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Alan Cabrera <ad...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> I'm currently writing some tooling to help with the incubation process as well as mail list moderator tools....
>
> Cool!
>
> https://whimsy.apache.org/ might be a good integration point for such tools.

Wow, this is awesome!

Regards,
Alan

Re: Writing some tooling

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Writing some tooling

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Alan Cabrera <ad...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> I'm currently writing some tooling to help with the incubation process as well as mail list moderator tools....

Cool!

https://whimsy.apache.org/ might be a good integration point for such tools.

-Bertrand

Re: Writing some tooling

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote on Sat, May 11, 2013 at 13:43:37 +0300:
> Alan Cabrera wrote on Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:58:24 -0700:
> > The first thing that I'm writing is a command that will print out who
> > is the owner of an email alias and what projects they belong to and if
> > they are ASF members.  This will help me vet subscription requests
> > since people rarely use their ASF email accounts.
>
> https://id.apache.org/info/MailAlias.txt

Second link is:
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committer/

Re: Writing some tooling

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Re: Writing some tooling

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

https://whimsy.apache.org/committer/roster/

Re: Writing some tooling

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Alan Cabrera wrote on Tue, May 14, 2013 at 08:50:27 -0700:

> On May 10, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Alan Cabrera <ad...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm currently writing some tooling to help with the incubation process as well as mail list moderator tools.
> >
> > The first thing that I'm writing is a command that will print out who is the owner of an email alias and what projects they belong to and if they are ASF members.  This will help me vet subscription requests since people rarely use their ASF email accounts.
> >
> > The tools will be written in Python.
>

> I'm done with this tool.  It also sends a rejected email to the user informing them that they are not allowed to subscribe.  Things I need in this email are:
>
> URL of a web page describing out to add an alias to an account

"Alternate email address" field on id.apache.org.  If that's documented
it'll be under http://www.apache.org/dev/.

> URL of a web page describing mailing list membership policies

Members to everything except board-private@, root@, and vp-*@; IPMC
members to all podling lists; PMC chairs to board@.  There's also
a handful of "committers only" lists, and list owners can invite anyone
to subscribe to the list they operate through.

A fairly good approximation is this:
https://whimsy.apache.org/committers/subscribe

though it doesn't implement the "IPMC members can subscribe to any
podling list" rule.  (Patches welcome.)

> If these don't exist I am happy to write them.

Yes please :-)

Re: Writing some tooling

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Re: Writing some tooling

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On May 10, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Alan Cabrera <ad...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> I'm currently writing some tooling to help with the incubation process as well as mail list moderator tools.
>
> The first thing that I'm writing is a command that will print out who is the owner of an email alias and what projects they belong to and if they are ASF members.  This will help me vet subscription requests since people rarely use their ASF email accounts.
>
> The tools will be written in Python.

I'm done with this tool.  It also sends a rejected email to the user informing them that they are not allowed to subscribe.  Things I need in this email are:

URL of a web page describing out to add an alias to an account
URL of a web page describing mailing list membership policies

If these don't exist I am happy to write them.

A bunch of the Python utilities that I'm using are from LinkedIn and I'm in the process of "vetting" the code.  I'll check it in as soon as that's done:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/tools

I'm now going to replace the mentors' names in podling.xml with their usernames and fix the corresponding web/reporting generation bits.  Any pointers would be welcome.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Writing some tooling

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.