Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ravi <ra...@cox.net> on 2009/01/27 16:23:14 UTC

Setting the logfile destination within the code

Hi: How do I setup the filename to which to send the logs within my code?

my log4j.xml has the following. I guess I have to send the File
attribute from my code. Can't seem to figure out how to change it using
the BasicConfigurator.
=============
  <appender name="FileLog" class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">
    <param  name="File" value="./logs/mylogs.logs" />
    <param  name="MaxFileSize" value="100KB"/>
    <!-- Keep one backup file -->
    <param  name="MaxBackupIndex" value="1"/>
    <param  name="ConversionPattern"
        value="%d %-5p [%t] %C (%F:%L) - %m%n"/>
    </layout>
  </appender>
==============

Thanks

--
Thank you,
RaVi

Re: Setting the logfile destination within the code

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:23:14 -0500
  Ravi <ra...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hi: How do I setup the filename to which to send the logs within my code?
>
> my log4j.xml has the following. I guess I have to send the File attribute
>from my code. Can't seem to figure out how to change it using the
>BasicConfigurator.

For an XML config file, you need to use DOMConfigurator and for a Properties
file you need to use a PropertiesConfigurator.  BasicConfigurator is just
that; Basic.  It sets up pre-defined defaults for Log4j logging and only
outputs to the console.  Config files are ignored.

In any case, you generally don't need to use a configurator at all.  Just
place log4j.xml or log4j.properties in the classpath (in the default, or no,
package) and let Log4j autoconfigure itself.

You really should read up on Log4j (see resources on the Log4j project page).
We welcome questions here, but prefer that you do at least some minimum
research before doing so.  If after doing your own research, you still can't
fine the answer, then go ahead and post, but not before that.

Jake