Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/01/12 01:21:16 UTC

Branching for Avalon Update

I don't know if we need a vote, but ...

Do we agree that it is a good idea to create a temporary branch for purposes
of resolving our Avalon conflicts?  We can make the changes to HEAD
directly, but that would temporarily disable your ability to build runnable
James (other than from branch_2_1_fcs) until we finished.

	--- Noel

Re: Branching for Avalon Update

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Thanks Steve, comments below.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Serge Knystautas wrote:

> [...]

Cheers, Steve.

>2. I don't think whoever is making these changes should commit changes until
>you have a runnable James (or at least in that person's knowledge... not
>saying there won't be bugs, but you shouldn't commit incomplete changes).
>3. I don't think we need to branch as these changes could be made directly
>to HEAD.
>
>Serge Knystautas
>Loki Technologies
>http://www.lokitech.com/
>

>--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org
http://www.osm.net

RE: Branching for Avalon Update

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> 1. I'd like to hear more of the case for upgrading our Avalon components.

Hopefully, Stephen can give us a better overview, but here are some
observations:

  a) there are bugs in Avalon code, and currently the only
     way to get the fixes is to upgrade our components.

  b) there are other Avalon containers, and if we want
     James to be able to run in them, as Stephen is
     attempting to do, then we need to support the
     current interfaces.

> we've got an underlying library that changes API and features,
> sometimes without changing version numbers, so without listing
> the benefits, it's the kind of upgrade I generally think a lot
> about before doing.

Yes, I know.  They haven't even updated their site documentation to list the
changes, so I would have to pull a CVS log and hope that they are commented.
Which is why I wouldn't even consider changing James v2.  But I think that
it makes sense for James v3.

I don't believe that we don't want to be trapped with code that we can't get
bug fixes for, and can't even properly identify the source.

> 2. I don't think whoever is making these changes should commit changes
until
>    you have a runnable James

There might be multiple people making those changes, unless Stephen already
has them made.  (Peter has, too, so I might be able to get them from him,
but I'd need to refit to James).

> 3. I don't think we need to branch as these changes could be made directly
>    to HEAD.

If we can make them in one swoop, without problem, then I agree.  I just
want to be safe.  I suppose that we could be safe by tagging first, and then
see what happens.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.