Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Cedric Knight <ce...@gn.apc.org> on 2013/01/25 14:12:52 UTC

spameatingmonkey.net down?

Does anyone have any more information on spameatingmonkey.net, which
doesn't seem to have been resolving since 0000 UTC today (20120125) ?
It looks like ns1.urmombl.com is down.

Spam Eating Monkey provides or provided RBL, RHSBL and iXhash of what
seemed to me to be fairly good quality, and particularly RHSBLs of
domains less than 15 days old.

It probably only affects a few SA users, those who have included it
manually, and was removed from SA sandboxes last year.

--
All best wishes,

Cedric Knight
GreenNet

Re: spameatingmonkey.net down?

Posted by Lutz Petersen <lp...@shlink.de>.
Thanks, just deleted this rules.. ;)

We use this with really low scores - even if I can't remember of false
positives (not more than most others). I don't believe their false rate
reaches any of the others you mentioned (your bad note about spamcop
I don't understand, within the last months they seem to be better as
before).

Re: spameatingmonkey.net down?

Posted by Cedric Knight <ce...@gn.apc.org>.
On 25/01/13 13:12, Cedric Knight wrote:
> Does anyone have any more information on spameatingmonkey.net, which
> doesn't seem to have been resolving since 0000 UTC today (20120125) ?
> It looks like ns1.urmombl.com is down.
>
> Spam Eating Monkey provides or provided RBL, RHSBL and iXhash of what
> seemed to me to be fairly good quality, and particularly RHSBLs of
> domains less than 15 days old.
>
> It probably only affects a few SA users, those who have included it
> manually, and was removed from SA sandboxes last year.

For info, the monkey is back up now, with http://dns.squish.net/
reporting 60% DNS health, but a normal-looking status page at
http://spameatingmonkey.com/status.html/

Someone offlist pointed me to Warren Togami's evaluation of the related
RBL (SEM-BLACK) in 2011
<http://www.spamtips.org/2011/05/dnsbl-safety-report-5142011.html>.  It
concluded from the masschecks: "false positives on as much as 5-6% of
ham... high overlap of 83% with RCVD_IN_PBL... outright avoid".  I'm not
saying it's safe for a high score, and would recommend that anyone
trying it uses considerable caution, but /for me/ that RBL hits more
spam than z.mailspike.net (though still not a lot), and has a lower FP
rate than NiX Spam or UCEPROTECT (or in fact, SpamCop).

Re: spameatingmonkey.net down?

Posted by Cedric Knight <ce...@gn.apc.org>.
On 25/01/13 13:20, Tom Kinghorn wrote:
> On 25/01/2013 15:12, Cedric Knight wrote:
>> Does anyone have any more information on spameatingmonkey.net, which
>> doesn't seem to have been resolving since 0000 UTC today (20120125) ?
>> It looks like ns1.urmombl.com is down.
>>
>> Spam Eating Monkey provides or provided RBL, RHSBL and iXhash of what
>> seemed to me to be fairly good quality, and particularly RHSBLs of
>> domains less than 15 days old.
>>
>> It probably only affects a few SA users, those who have included it
>> manually, and was removed from SA sandboxes last year.
>>
> *http://is.spameatingmonkey.com.downorblocked.net/*
>
> Status shows as: OFFLINE

Thanks for the confirmation, but by "more information" I meant any news
from the maintainer of SEM about what his/her intentions were and
whether service is likely to be restored, or whether it's permanently
offline or whatever.

Anyway, its loss, temporary or otherwise, doesn't seem to be affecting
too many people.  It caused some slow mail checking for me.

Re: spameatingmonkey.net down?

Posted by Tom Kinghorn <th...@gmail.com>.