Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Bartram <jb...@quadrivium-labs.com> on 2000/12/02 23:58:30 UTC

Problem building sample (Tomcat 3.1, WinNT 4.0)

I've made a copy of jakarta-tomcat\doc\appdev\sample and have attempted to
build it. I made no changes to build.bat or build.xml. Can anyone explain
why I get this error?:

<<
Buildfile: build.xml
BUILD CONFIG ERROR: Can't open config file: build.xml due to:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Attribute names must not start with "<"
characters.
org.apache.tools.ant.BuildException: Can't open config file: build.xml due
to: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Attribute names must not start with "<"
characters.
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.configureProject(ProjectHelper.java:93)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main(Main.java, Compiled Code)

Thanks,

--Jim Bartram

Re: Bug in Windows Tomcat 3.2 Build.bat

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Jim Bartram wrote:

> Re: jakarta-tomcat-3.2\doc\appdev\sample\build.bat
>
> I upgraded to Tomcat 3.2 and found that build.bat would still not work on
> Windows NT. A little investigation revealed that the distribution copy of
> build.bat has a fatal flaw:
>
> (Part of build.bat:)
> <snip>
> rem Identify the custom class path components we need
> set CP=%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\ant.jar;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\servlet.jar
> set CP=%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\jaxp.jar;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\parser.jar
> set CP=%CP%;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar
> <snip>
>
> The third line of this example should be:
>
> set CP=%CP%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\jaxp.jar;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\parser.jar
>
> otherwise the classpath is incorrect (missing ant.jar and servlet.jar).
> When my fix is made the build is successful.

Thanks Jim ... this will be fixed in Tomcat 3.2.1.

> --Jim Bartram

Craig

Bug in Windows Tomcat 3.2 Build.bat

Re: Problem building sample (Tomcat 3.1, WinNT 4.0)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Jim Bartram wrote:

> I've made a copy of jakarta-tomcat\doc\appdev\sample and have attempted to
> build it. I made no changes to build.bat or build.xml. Can anyone explain
> why I get this error?:

The Tomcat 3.1 version of the sample application build scripts has some syntax
errors in it.  You should use the version from Tomcat 3.2 (and you should be
using Tomcat 3.2 anyway; it has substantial numbers of bug fixes and performance
improvements over 3.1.).

Craig McClanahan