Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/01 15:50:40 UTC

Tuscany and Management - use a link with Apache Muse ??

Folks,

Now that the 1.0 release is out of the way, can I open discussion
(again) about the question of Management for the Tuscany runtime.

1. I think that we should add management interfaces to Tuscany

2. "Management" should include 2 main things:
- reporting events about things happening within the runtime
- allowing control of aspects of the runtime, including controlling the
flow of events, plus the ability to influence the behaviour of the
runtime and the components/services it is running.

One question we need to ask is what general model we want to adopt for
the management interfaces.

In my opinion, it should be service based.  We should consider using
standards like WSDM (Ws-Distributed Management).  We should think hard
about the data model that we offer over such standards.

There is also a question about whether we should use some existing
management code to help achieve this.  We have had discussions with
Apache Muse previously (they implement WSDM, for example), but these
discussions seem to have run into the sand (or they have been buried by
the efforts to get 1.0 out of the door).

Now is a good time to resurrect these discussions and get some real work
done.

I've started a page on the Tuscany internal Wiki:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Tuscany+Management+capabilities

Yours,  Mike.