Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Andy C <an...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/09 19:51:22 UTC

Upgrading to Solr 7.3 but Zookeeper 3.4.11 no longer available on Zookeeper mirror sites

According to the 7.3 release notes I should be using Zookeeper 3.4.11 with
Solr 7.3.

However it appears that Zookeeper has pulled Zookeeper 3.4.11 from their
mirror sites (this appears to be due to a serious bug in ZK 3.4.11 -
ZOOKEEPER-2960) <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2960> .
Only 3.4.10 and 3.4.12 are available.

Not quite sure how to proceed. Can I use ZK 3.4.10 or 3.4.12 with Solr 7.3?
Or should I try to find an archived version of ZK 3.4.11 somewhere?

Will Solr 7.3.1 or 7.4 be integrated with ZK 3.4.12? If so, what is the
expected time frame for these releases?

Would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,
- Andy -

Re: Upgrading to Solr 7.3 but Zookeeper 3.4.11 no longer available on Zookeeper mirror sites

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/9/2018 1:51 PM, Andy C wrote:
> According to the 7.3 release notes I should be using Zookeeper 3.4.11 with
> Solr 7.3.

The release notes don't make any specific recommendation about the
version of ZK that you should use for your server.  The information in
the release notes that mentions 3.4.11 is only talking about which
version of ZK is included inside Solr.  Typically you should use the
latest stable release for your servers, or possibly the latest release
in the same minor version as the client.

> However it appears that Zookeeper has pulled Zookeeper 3.4.11 from their
> mirror sites (this appears to be due to a serious bug in ZK 3.4.11 -
> ZOOKEEPER-2960) <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2960> .
> Only 3.4.10 and 3.4.12 are available.
>
> Not quite sure how to proceed. Can I use ZK 3.4.10 or 3.4.12 with Solr 7.3?
> Or should I try to find an archived version of ZK 3.4.11 somewhere?

Use 3.4.12.  And if a newer 3.4.x version gets released, consider
upgrading your ZK servers.  All 3.4.x clients SHOULD work with all 3.4.x
versions of the server, and would probably also work with 3.5.x servers
(which are alpha and beta at this time, not stable).

You can still download 3.4.11 if you REALLY want to, from the Apache
archive:

https://archive.apache.org/dist/zookeeper/

7.3.1 is still using ZK 3.4.11.  At this time, ZK isn't upgraded in the
stable branch that will eventually be 7.4.  That might happen before 7.4
is released, but I can't be sure.

The only time the bug in 3.4.11 would matter for Solr itself is when
using the embedded zookeeper -- which we do NOT recommend using in
production.  The incorrect directories should not actually cause any
problem for the embedded ZK unless an upgrade is attempted while keeping
the same ZK data.  The files would need to be moved or the embedded ZK
reconfigured before a newer version could successfully find them.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Upgrading to Solr 7.3 but Zookeeper 3.4.11 no longer available on Zookeeper mirror sites

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Nope, we just moved to 3.4.11 recently. Raise a JIRA?

Posted by Andy C <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Shawn. That makes sense.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Andy C <an...@gmail.com>.