Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by "Robert r. Sanders" <ro...@ipov.net> on 2004/07/19 16:47:20 UTC

OTM makePersistent Error.

Hi,
    I've been following OJB for sometime now.  I recently decided to
switch a small web-app from using the PersistanceBroker to using OTM (I
also updated from RC 6 to 1.0 final).  After reading through the OTM
tutorial, I changed my code to use OTM; however I get the following
error when attempting to store new Objects.  Is there some setting that
I need to change or something?

org.apache.ojb.otm.copy.ObjectCopyException:
java.io.NotSerializableException: net.ipov.timesheet.TimeEntry
    at org.apache.ojb.otm.copy.SerializeObjectCopyStrategy.copy(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.apache.ojb.otm.copy.ReflectiveObjectCopyStrategy.handleObjectWithNoArgsConstructor(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.apache.ojb.otm.copy.ReflectiveObjectCopyStrategy.clone(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.ojb.otm.copy.ReflectiveObjectCopyStrategy.copy(Unknown
Source)
    at org.apache.ojb.otm.copy.MetadataObjectCopyStrategy.clone(Unknown
Source)
    at org.apache.ojb.otm.copy.MetadataObjectCopyStrategy.clone(Unknown
Source)
    at org.apache.ojb.otm.copy.MetadataObjectCopyStrategy.copy(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.apache.ojb.otm.core.ConcreteEditingContext.insertInternal(Unknown
Source)
    at org.apache.ojb.otm.core.ConcreteEditingContext.insert(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.ojb.otm.core.BaseConnection.makePersistent(Unknown Source)

--
    Robert r. Sanders
    Chief Technologist

Re: OTM makePersistent Error.

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
Yeah, I ran into this one a few times myself.

The OTM will attempt to shortcut some copying when it hits something it
doesn't know how to copy by serializing and deserializing it. I don't
much like this behavior, and in the end led to us not using the OTM for
a project in the end.

Unfortunately I cannot recall exactly when it was doing this, but it
became a bear to work around for me as well. I will dig back into when
it was happening and try to find our workaround. The right answer is to
fix the OTM, but that is a much more complex task at the moment =/

-Brian