Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark <SV...@svn.com> on 2005/06/02 22:07:10 UTC

Re-deltify in 1.2.0

Hi,

I recently installed 1.1.4 of svn and am loving it, only to find out that 1.2.0 was just released!  In the release notes it says that the repository is now using the xdelta differencing algorithm (instead of vdelta).  It mentions "Note: There's a small trade off between speed and disk space. If you choose to re-deltify your whole repository using xdelta, its size will grow by roughly 10 to 15 percent."  How do I "re-deltify" the repository?  Do I have to export/backup the repository from 1.1.4 and them import it back into 1.2.0?  Or is there a conversion utility?  Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Mark

Re: Re-deltify in 1.2.0

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 2, 2005, at 5:07 PM, Mark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed 1.1.4 of svn and am loving it, only to find
> out that 1.2.0 was just released!  In the release notes it says
> that the repository is now using the xdelta differencing algorithm
> (instead of vdelta).  It mentions "Note: There's a small trade off
> between speed and disk space. If you choose to re-deltify your
> whole repository using xdelta, its size will grow by roughly 10 to
> 15 percent."  How do I "re-deltify" the repository?  Do I have to
> export/backup the repository from 1.1.4 and them import it back
> into 1.2.0?  Or is there a conversion utility? Thanks for your help.

Read the paragraph just before the one you're quoting:

"The xdelta algorithm is much faster at reconstructing older files,
and thus there's motivation to dump and reload your existing
repository. If you do this, you forcibly re-compress all repository
history using the xdelta algorithm, resulting in a noticeable speedup
in operations that ask the server to reconstruct older data..."

So you just need to dump and load.

Re: Re-deltify in 1.2.0

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
kfogel@newton.ch.collab.net wrote on 04.06.2005 22:18:58:

> Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si> writes:
> > Best way is to use "svadmin dump", create a new repository, and do a
> > "svnadmin load" . And as far as I am concerned, the speed-up isn't
that
> > insignificant.
>
> "insignificant" or "significant"?
>
> -Karl

The speed-up is rather significant, so it "isn't insignificant" ;) AFAICR
the original post mentioned that the speed-up isn't that great.

---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si

Re: Re-deltify in 1.2.0

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Re: Re-deltify in 1.2.0