Posted to general@velocity.apache.org by Edward <ar...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/12 04:17:59 UTC

Logo Proposition for VelocityTools

Hello All,

I entered the Google Highly Open Participation Contest for the Velocity
Tools logo.

Here is my proposition so far:

[image: ApacheVelocityTools.png picture by shadowpwner]

In case the image doesn't show:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/ApacheVelocityTools.png

Please note this will not be the final draft, but only something to start us
off with.

Please give helpful comments and suggestions, to improve my work. (Example:
Too simple, colors don't match layout, etc.)

Regards,

Edward

http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=52

Re: Logo Proposition for VelocityTools

Posted by Edward <ar...@gmail.com>.
 Hi Claude,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, my harddrive died and I am unable to
change the logo until I find my old photoshop CD, which might take some time
XD.

I'm going to email the dev for voting on which logo looks the best. If more
people like the design that you like, I'll recreate it.

Regards,

Edward

On 12/15/07, Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net> wrote:

> Some more -subjetive- feeback :
>
> I really prefer the T of the first version - much softer and lighter.
> And colors were good. Sthing very heavy in the second proposal, whereas
> the first one recalls me of sthing inbetween of a conceptual
> contemporary art artefact and a glass of wine... necessarily
> sympatico... subjective, I told you... what about working around the
> first proposal in the way I suggest here (only poorly crafted by means
> of ugly cuts and pastes from you image):
>
> http://people.apache.org/~cbrisson/ApacheVelocityTools.png
>

>    Claude
>
> Le mercredi 12 décembre 2007 à 17:54 -0800, Edward a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for giving me feedback. Heres an updated version:
> > [image: ApacheVelocityTools2.png picture by shadowpwner]
> > and a link for those who can't see it:
> >
> http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/ApacheVelocityTools2.png
> >
> > I tried to make the T look more like a T, but now to me it looks like a
> > tongue :P (See the resemblance?)
> >
> > Also, here it is with the current template:
> >

> http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/VeltoolsNewLogoPS2.png
> >
> > The logo will probably be 50% of the current size, I enlarged it so you
> > could see the details.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Edward
> > On Dec 11, 2007 8:57 PM, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey Edward,
> > >
> > > That's a pretty good start, though i confess that it took me a second
> > > to realize that the symbol was a V with a T inset.  The T is
> > > particularly hard to recognize.  Still, the symbol looks a lot
> > > snazzier than the current meager wrench (no offense, if you're still
> > > out there Tim Colson :).   I do think the color scheme could use some
> > > adjustment to fit better, as it clashes a bit right now.  I attached a
> > > screenshot of this draft logo in the velocitytools docs to show that.
> > >
> > > I think that's it for stylistic feedback.  I'm not really the best at
> > > that.  Functionally, the logo will need to be smaller and could
> > > probably stand to have some of the surrounding whitespace reduced to
> > > make better use of its space.
> > >
> > > Thanks for working on this!  I'm excited to have a nice logo for once!
> :)
> > >
> > > peace,
> > > nathan

> Velocity

> http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/ApacheVelocityTools.png

> > > start us

> > > (Example:

> http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=52

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until
you hear them speak.

Re: Logo Proposition for VelocityTools

Posted by Edward <ar...@gmail.com>.
 Hi Claude,

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
The gradient is pretty cool.

On Dec 14, 2007 9:19 PM, Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net> wrote:
> Some more -subjetive- feeback :
>
> I really prefer the T of the first version - much softer and lighter.
> And colors were good. Sthing very heavy in the second proposal, whereas
> the first one recalls me of sthing inbetween of a conceptual
> contemporary art artefact and a glass of wine... necessarily
> sympatico... subjective, I told you... what about working around the
> first proposal in the way I suggest here (only poorly crafted by means
> of ugly cuts and pastes from you image):
>
> http://people.apache.org/~cbrisson/ApacheVelocityTools.png
>

>    Claude
>
> Le mercredi 12 décembre 2007 à 17:54 -0800, Edward a écrit :
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for giving me feedback. Heres an updated version:
> > [image: ApacheVelocityTools2.png picture by shadowpwner]
> > and a link for those who can't see it:
> > http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/ApacheVelocityTools2.png
> >
> > I tried to make the T look more like a T, but now to me it looks like a
> > tongue :P (See the resemblance?)
> >
> > Also, here it is with the current template:
> >
> > http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/VeltoolsNewLogoPS2.png
> >
> > The logo will probably be 50% of the current size, I enlarged it so you
> > could see the details.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Edward
> > On Dec 11, 2007 8:57 PM, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey Edward,
> > >
> > > That's a pretty good start, though i confess that it took me a second
> > > to realize that the symbol was a V with a T inset.  The T is
> > > particularly hard to recognize.  Still, the symbol looks a lot
> > > snazzier than the current meager wrench (no offense, if you're still
> > > out there Tim Colson :).   I do think the color scheme could use some
> > > adjustment to fit better, as it clashes a bit right now.  I attached a
> > > screenshot of this draft logo in the velocitytools docs to show that.
> > >
> > > I think that's it for stylistic feedback.  I'm not really the best at
> > > that.  Functionally, the logo will need to be smaller and could
> > > probably stand to have some of the surrounding whitespace reduced to
> > > make better use of its space.
> > >
> > > Thanks for working on this!  I'm excited to have a nice logo for once! :)
> > >
> > > peace,
> > > nathan

> > > http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/ApacheVelocityTools.png

> > > start us

> > > (Example:

> > > http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=52

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: Logo Proposition for VelocityTools

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.

Posted by Patrick Diehl <pa...@googlemail.com>.
Hello,

i prefer the ApacheVelocityTools3Gradient.png as the logo.

bye Patrick

2007/12/14, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:

> On Dec 13, 2007 3:53 PM, Edward <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Another updated version, I think this version looks more like a shield
> now,
> > rather a tongue.
>
> yeah, it does.  that helps.
>
> > Black and White Version:
> >
> http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/ApacheVelocityTools3BW.png
>
> nah, i prefer color.
>
> > Solid Color Version:
> >
> http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/ApacheVelocityTools3Solid.png
> >
> > And one with gradient:
> >
> http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/ApacheVelocityTools3Gradient.png
>
> i actually like these both pretty well.  i'd be hard pressed to pick.
> thanks for trimming some of that whitespace. :)   how's this, i'm not
> sure what Chris Townsen's feedback was, but i think you should either:
>
> a) pick one of the two color ones above and call that your submission
>
> b) or if you are having a hard time deciding, ask for people on the
> dev@velocity.apache.org list to vote between them.
>
> whichever way, i think we're probably about ready to wrap this up.
>
> > I'll make an example on how it'll fit the website as soon as I'm done
> with
> > my design, if its okay. :)
>
> that'd be great.  it'll be smaller than it currently is too, right?
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > Edward

> http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/ApacheVelocityTools2.png
> > >
> > > The colors mesh perfectly now. :) I also like the different font
> > > weights for Velocity and Tools.

> like a
> > >
> > > Yeah, though my first thought was that it looked like a shield, which
> > > is a bit more noble than a tongue. :)  I wonder if straightening out
> > > the wings of the V would help...

> http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/VeltoolsNewLogoPS2.png

> you
> > >
> > > Cool, though i'd be curious to see how well the details compress also.
> > >  And there still seems like more whitespace than necessary on the
> > > right side and the top.

> second
> still
> some
> attached a
> that.

> at

> once!
> > > :)

> > > Velocity

> http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/shadowpwner/ApacheVelocityTools.png

> work.

> http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=52

> bright
> > > until

> > --
> > Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
> until
> > you hear them speak.

Patrick Diehl
Zamenhofstr.58
70197 Stuttgart

Tel.: 0711/2735204
Mobil.: 015156316139

Re: Logo Proposition for VelocityTools

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 13, 2007 3:53 PM, Edward <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another updated version, I think this version looks more like a shield now,
> rather a tongue.

yeah, it does.  that helps.

Posted by Edward <ar...@gmail.com>.
Oh, P.S. Christopher Townson, please post on the mailing list so everyone
can see your comments, rather than only emailing them to me please.

Thanks!

Posted by Edward <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.