Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Ashwin Desai <as...@yahoo.com> on 2004/05/26 05:28:29 UTC

[DAEMON] jsvc problem with linux and tomcat

Hi,

I am trying to get Tomcat 5.0.19 to run as a non-root user using
commons daemin - jsvc on a linux machine.

uname -a
Linux rx2600 2.4.20-cgl-1.12-mckinley-smp #1 SMP Tue Sep 23 09:21:46
MDT 2003 ia64 unknown

I got the following error in the log file

syscall failed in set_caps
service exits with a value of 4

After looking at a few solutions on the internet, I commented out the
set_caps(CAPS) & set_caps(CAPSMIN) lines from jsvc-unix.c and tried
again.

Now, tomcat started properrly but had problems binding to port 80
(java.net.BindException)

It looks like these set_caps() calls are needed to get the proper
permissions to bind to port 80.

/* set capabilities enough for binding port 80 setuid/getuid */
    if (set_caps(CAPS)!=0)
        return(-1);

Anyone else has seen this problem before. Any suggestions/solutions
??

Thanks a lot in advance.