Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Vitaly Funstein <vf...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/31 05:11:25 UTC

Lucene 4.0 GA time frame

Given that the Alpha is out, are there any more or less definitive
guidelines on when 4.0 will be officially released? Hopefully, someone
probably has a ballpark estimate on this, give or take a few months? We are
trying to get an idea so the 4.0 migration effort could be better aligned
with its release. Thank you.

Re: Lucene 4.0 GA time frame

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
My personal estimate is that it will likely be within a week or two, but
there is no official date.

-- Jack Krupansky

Now that the BETA is out for a while any clue when the GA release wil take
place?

Re: Lucene 4.0 GA time frame

Posted by sausarkar <sa...@ebay.com>.

Re: Lucene 4.0 GA time frame

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Erick's estimate is right in line with the chatter I have heard. There is
some talk of a Beta release in August, but there is some concern that too
many people are on vacation in August to get much feedback.

My guess is for a Beta no later than the middle of September and a release a
month later. It seems reasonable to expect the 4.0 release by mid-October.
I'd be surprised if the release slipped beyond November.

FWIW, I haven't seen any "the index format has changed; you must re-index"
messages in at least a few weeks, so at least some level of stability has
already been achieved.

The SolrCloud stuff seems to still be in a state of flux (from the issue
traffic I have seen), so I'm not sure if that is ready enough for imminent
release, although it may be getting close.

I am disturbed with the large number of frequent Jenkins test failures. I
feel a little uncomfortable recommending use of code whose test system fails
so frequently. We need some stability there, although it may be at least
semi-reasonable to discount those test failures as the need for improving a
complex test system rather than a judgment about the quality of the
underlying Lucene/Solr code.

The bottom line is that Lucene/Solr 4.0 GA in the fall (before December) is
a reasonable expectation, based on the code's current trajectory.

-- Jack Krupansky

My guess is in the September/October time frame. Things are actually
moving along pretty quickly, and there's considerable sentiment to get
it out the door...

Best
Erick

Re: Lucene 4.0 GA time frame