Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark London <mr...@psfc.mit.edu> on 2003/12/07 23:32:32 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Certificates for aliases?

>From: Saqib Ali <sa...@seagate.com>
>you can not have muliple SSL enabled "name-based" Virtual Host. You can
>have multiple SSL enabled "ip-based" or "port-based" Virtual Hosts.

Are you saying that I can't have a separate certificate for an alias IP name?

>From: Kyle Dent <kd...@seaglass.com>
>  > <VirtualHost 198.125.178.44:80
>                               ^^
>                               443
>I think I goofed in my original example. It should be on port 443.

That still doesn't work and it breaks https for the primary ip name
also.  When I try any https access, it results in the following
messages in error_log:

[Sun Dec 07 17:12:28 2003] [error] [client 198.125.176.141] Invalid
method in request ^V^C

Any more ideas, or should I post my question to apache-ssl (which I
didn't realize existed until I was trying to find what the above
error message means).
Thanks.

Mark

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Certificates for aliases?

Posted by Kyle Dent <kd...@seaglass.com>.
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Mark London wrote:

> >From: Saqib Ali <sa...@seagate.com>
> >you can not have muliple SSL enabled "name-based" Virtual Host. You can
> >have multiple SSL enabled "ip-based" or "port-based" Virtual Hosts.
>
> Are you saying that I can't have a separate certificate for an
> alias IP name?

You can't have multiple distinct certificates for different host
names when you are doing name-based virtual hosting. To do
virtual hosting with SSL certificates, each hostname must have
its own IP address. Name-based virtual hosting is a workaround
that doesn't work around encrypted requests.

Kyle