Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2006/12/02 02:06:18 UTC

[policy] where incubation notices should live (was: Re: [VOTE] Apache CXF 2.0-M1 Incubating Release)

On Dec 1, 2006, at 5:22 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2006, at 10:10 AM, Martin Ritchie wrote:
>>> probably include the incubator disclaimer.
>>>
>>> Yes. There is nothing in that file to indicate incubation.
>>> It's an important doc, so the fact of incubation
>>> should be clear.
>>
>> So are we saying that having a DISCLAIMER file and the disclaimer in
>> the README at the top level is not "clear" enough or does "all
>> documentation" need to have the disclaimer as in all documentation
>> files?

I'm not saying that.

>> Would be good to clear this up and update the Disclaimer section to
>> say exactly where the specified disclaimer text should be put.

*shrug*. IMHO podling communities can (and should) think for
themselves a little...this stuff needs to be clear to the people that
download the stuff, you're responsible for assuring that...details of
doing that may depend on, ehm, other details.

> This is the RELEASE NOTES for God's sake! Do you really
> think that a document that details the release notes
> for a codebase should not specify that the codebase
> is in Incubation.

For the record, I'm personally not too fussed. Those disclaimers end
up in a gazillion places already. It's kinda hard already to get to a
release notes file without ignoring them once or twice.

Secondly, this is again an example of a mid-flight policy change/
added requirement. Let's continue to try not to have those, please,
it confuses, slows things down and can be frustrating for the podling
community.

cheers!

Leo