Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Decio Jr." <to...@deciojr.eti.br> on 2003/08/17 15:43:04 UTC

Getting mod_jk2 : Slackware & FreeBSD and Tomcat

Has anyone built a mod_jk2.so file for FreeBSD5.1 and Linux (Slackware)?
I got the mod_jk2.so file in Slackware with sucessful but NOT with FreeBSD 5.1.

I have libtool 1.4.3 in Slackware and 1.4.2 in FreeBSD and the package
"jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.27".

Any idea?

Thanks!

Decio

Re: Can't find startup scripts after installing Linux RPM

Posted by Roy Smith <ro...@panix.com>.
On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 12:50  PM, Richard Dunn wrote:

>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Using an RPM.

I should have learned by now that RPM's are evil.  I'm not sure what
made me pick that option this time.  Anyway, I grabbed the tar file,
installed it that way, and all is well.  Thanks!

Re: Can't find startup scripts after installing Linux RPM

Posted by Roy Smith <ro...@panix.com>.

Posted by Richard Dunn <ri...@arkona.com>.
On Sunday 17 August 2003 10:05, Roy Smith wrote:
> I'm running RedHat 8.0.  Following the instructions in "Tomcat: The
> Definitive Guide", I downloaded and installed
> tomcat4-4.1.24-full.2jpp.noarch.rpm.
>
> Under "Starting Up and Shutting Down" (page 13), the book says I should
> be able to find startup scripts in "the bin subdirectory", by which I
> assume they mean /var/tomcat4/bin/.  However, in that directory, all I
> see are:
>
> bootstrap.jar
> commons-daemon.jar
> tomcat-jni.jar
>
> In fact, I don't see the catalina.sh startup script anywhere:
>
> [root@bonkers tomcat4]# find / -name '*catalina*' -print
> /var/tomcat4/server/lib/catalina-ant.jar
> /var/tomcat4/server/lib/catalina.jar
> /var/tomcat4/webapps/tomcat-docs/catalina
> /var/tomcat4/webapps/tomcat-docs/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/catalina
> /etc/tomcat4/catalina.policy
>

> What am I doing wrong?

Using an RPM.

I have several servers running Redhat 8.0 and Tomcat (4.1.24 and 5.07) and it
is a breeze to setup using a tarball (e.g. jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24.tar.gz).
Just copy it to /usr/local (or whereever you want) and type "tar xvfz
jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24.tar.gz" and you have installed it. Whenever I have
tried the RPM approach (and looking at the submitted problems in the list I
am not the only one) I have had problem. At least for tomcat (or Apache), I
recommend staying away from the RPM distributions.

Re: Can't find startup scripts after installing Linux RPM

Posted by Richard Dunn <ri...@arkona.com>.

Re: Getting mod_jk2 : Slackware & FreeBSD and Tomcat

Posted by "Eric J. Pinnell" <er...@iCky.org>.
Try using the 2.0.2 JK2 source:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk2/release/v2.0.2/src/

-e