Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/05 06:13:10 UTC

eclipse:install-plugins and features?

I want to split my RCP build into two parts.

Part 1) contains the GIS plugin which is huge ~400Mb of data and
rarely needs to be built.

Part 2) contains the RCP application which would depend upon the GIS plugin.

Ideally I would like Part 1) to also contain a feature that described
the plugins that make up the GIS feature set.

But the maven-eclipse-plugin currently doesn't support features (only plugins).

I can work around this by creating the feature in Part 2) and
reference the plugins built in Part 1) as they will get installed into
the Internal Maven repository.

Has anyone else found they needed to do something like what I am doing?
It feels like I should also be adding the features to the
eclipse:make-artifacts and getting eclipse:install-plugins (or
eclipse:install-features) to do the work.

Any thoughts?

Re: eclipse:install-plugins and features?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
> Has anyone else found they needed to do something like what I am doing?
> It feels like I should also be adding the features to the
> eclipse:make-artifacts and getting eclipse:install-plugins (or
> eclipse:install-features) to do the work.

If I go and create eclipse:install-features, I'm wondering how that
would actually work.

The features would need to be exploded when they are installed into an
eclipse target, which isn't a big deal.

What I am not sure of yet is whether there are name space clashes for
plugins vs features.
I'm fairly sure there are no name space clashes as that would make it
impossible to have the feature and the plugin open in eclipse at the
same time.  However, should the maven repository artifacts use a
different classifier, say "feature"?