Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> on 2005/08/31 16:50:23 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Since commons-email RC 1 there have been quite a few new release
candidates.  At this point ALL the bugs in Bugzilla have been dealt
with.  The code has been tagged as EMAIL_1_0_RC7 and differs from RC6
in some doc/code cleanup and minor refactoring.

The binaries and docs are available from http://people.apache.org/
~epugh/commons-email/  I have ignored the unit tests as they are
currently failing due to some other reason on my box.  They all pass
cleanly on other Commons developer's boxes.  This might be a good
thing to double check.

Votes, please. The vote will run for 72 hours.

--8<-----------------------------------------------------------------

[ ] +1 Release Email 1.0
[ ] +0 General support but not definitive
[ ] -0 Unhappy about the release but not definitive
[ ] -1 Do not release Email 1.0

Thanks!

Eric Pugh

[email] dumbster and JDK 1.3 (was Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0)

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
There is only a 1.0.3, a 1.5 and a 1.6 version of dumbster @ ibiblio.
All three don't work with the 1.3 JDK.

	Regards
		Henning

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 22:47 +1000, Dion Gillard wrote:
> Which version of dumbster is being used? I specifically got a 1.3
> version deployed to ibiblio to help us test this.
>
> On 9/2/05, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> > Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > >I'd much rather we build the release with jdk 1.3.
> >
> > >There are 1.4 specific methods, e.g. in StringBuffer that mean that
> > >code compiled on 1.4 wont necessarily run on 1.3
> >
> > I thought that the -source and -target switches of javac were intended
> > to deal with these problems. Were they not?
> >
> > Anyway, I just tried the 1.3.1 JDK. The jar builds, the tests fail due
> > to the fact that dumbster is compiled for 1.4 and my toolchain for
> > rebuilding that (ant and everything) simply does not run on 1.3.1 any
> > longer. So if anyone has a 1.3 compiled dumbster.jar for me, I'll try
> > again.
> >
> > The 1.3.1 built jar passes the tests when running the test cases under
> > the 1.4.2 runtime. You can get this jar from
> > people.apache.org/~henning/commons-email-1.0-rc7.jar for
> > testing. Personally I'd consider this "good enough".
> >
> > As a side note: 1.3 is in EOL process at Sun. At what point do we
> > consider compatibility to 1.3 no longer necessary?
> >
> >         Regards
> >                 Henning

> > >--
> > >http://www.multitask.com.au/people/dion/
> > >"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your
> > >reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George
> > >Bernard Shaw

> > --
> > Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen          INTERMETA GmbH
> > hps@intermeta.de        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/
> >
> > RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development  -- hero for hire
> >    Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Development
> >
> >                       4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

      RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development
   Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Engineering

                     4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Which version of dumbster is being used? I specifically got a 1.3
version deployed to ibiblio to help us test this.

On 9/2/05, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >I'd much rather we build the release with jdk 1.3.
>
> >There are 1.4 specific methods, e.g. in StringBuffer that mean that
> >code compiled on 1.4 wont necessarily run on 1.3
>
> I thought that the -source and -target switches of javac were intended
> to deal with these problems. Were they not?
>
> Anyway, I just tried the 1.3.1 JDK. The jar builds, the tests fail due
> to the fact that dumbster is compiled for 1.4 and my toolchain for
> rebuilding that (ant and everything) simply does not run on 1.3.1 any
> longer. So if anyone has a 1.3 compiled dumbster.jar for me, I'll try
> again.
>
> The 1.3.1 built jar passes the tests when running the test cases under
> the 1.4.2 runtime. You can get this jar from
> people.apache.org/~henning/commons-email-1.0-rc7.jar for
> testing. Personally I'd consider this "good enough".
>
> As a side note: 1.3 is in EOL process at Sun. At what point do we
> consider compatibility to 1.3 no longer necessary?
>
>         Regards
>                 Henning

> >> It is built with (in project.properties):
> >>
> >> maven.compile.source=1.3
> >> maven.compile.target=1.3
> >>
> >> so that shouldn't be a problem IMHO. (Eric and I did our tests on the
> >> 1.4.2 runtime, though). Thanks for pointing this out, if you advise to
> >> build the release using the 1.3.1 JDK, I will consider looking into
> >> this.
> >>
> >>         Regards
> >>                 Henning
> >> --
> >> Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen          INTERMETA GmbH
> >> hps@intermeta.de        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/
> >>
> >> RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development  -- hero for hire
> >>    Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Development
> >>
> >>                       4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

> >--
> >http://www.multitask.com.au/people/dion/
> >"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your
> >reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George
> >Bernard Shaw

> RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development  -- hero for hire
>    Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Development
>
>                       4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Bernard Shaw

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> writes:

>I'd much rather we build the release with jdk 1.3.

>There are 1.4 specific methods, e.g. in StringBuffer that mean that
>code compiled on 1.4 wont necessarily run on 1.3

I thought that the -source and -target switches of javac were intended
to deal with these problems. Were they not?

Anyway, I just tried the 1.3.1 JDK. The jar builds, the tests fail due
to the fact that dumbster is compiled for 1.4 and my toolchain for
rebuilding that (ant and everything) simply does not run on 1.3.1 any
longer. So if anyone has a 1.3 compiled dumbster.jar for me, I'll try
again.

The 1.3.1 built jar passes the tests when running the test cases under
the 1.4.2 runtime. You can get this jar from
people.apache.org/~henning/commons-email-1.0-rc7.jar for
testing. Personally I'd consider this "good enough".

As a side note: 1.3 is in EOL process at Sun. At what point do we
consider compatibility to 1.3 no longer necessary?

	Regards
		Henning

>On 9/2/05, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
>> Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>>
>> >c) The jar file is built on JDK1.4. Is that your target JDK version? If
>> >your target is lower, then compiling using JDK1.4 can cause issues when
>> >running with earlier versions. This discussion has occurred before in
>> >the archives. The chances are that in a component like this, you won't
>> >be affected, but the risk is present. This point is -0.
>>
>> It is built with (in project.properties):
>>
>> maven.compile.source=1.3
>> maven.compile.target=1.3
>>
>> so that shouldn't be a problem IMHO. (Eric and I did our tests on the
>> 1.4.2 runtime, though). Thanks for pointing this out, if you advise to
>> build the release using the 1.3.1 JDK, I will consider looking into
>> this.
>>
>>         Regards
>>                 Henning
>> --
>> Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen          INTERMETA GmbH
>> hps@intermeta.de        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/
>>
>> RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development  -- hero for hire
>>    Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Development
>>
>>                       4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

>--
>http://www.multitask.com.au/people/dion/
>"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your
>reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George
>Bernard Shaw

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
I'd much rather we build the release with jdk 1.3.

There are 1.4 specific methods, e.g. in StringBuffer that mean that
code compiled on 1.4 wont necessarily run on 1.3

On 9/2/05, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>
> >c) The jar file is built on JDK1.4. Is that your target JDK version? If
> >your target is lower, then compiling using JDK1.4 can cause issues when
> >running with earlier versions. This discussion has occurred before in
> >the archives. The chances are that in a component like this, you won't
> >be affected, but the risk is present. This point is -0.
>
> It is built with (in project.properties):
>
> maven.compile.source=1.3
> maven.compile.target=1.3
>
> so that shouldn't be a problem IMHO. (Eric and I did our tests on the
> 1.4.2 runtime, though). Thanks for pointing this out, if you advise to
> build the release using the 1.3.1 JDK, I will consider looking into
> this.
>
>         Regards
>                 Henning
>
> RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development  -- hero for hire
>    Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Development
>
>                       4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Bernard Shaw

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: Lang dependency [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

>so, i'd suggest that email adopts a solution along those lines. the
>simplest and quickest approach would be to simply copy the necessary
>source and repackage it as org.apache.commons.email.lang. if people are
>happy with this approach, i'd be willing to make the change.

I'm -0 on simply repackaging to o.a.e.l at least for the
EmailException. We don't need the Nestable Interface and the shebang
surrounding it. Stephen suggested using the patten used in
commons-collections and that would be fine with me.

For StringUtils and RandomStringUtils, I'm +1. Do we copy all of this
or just the methods that we need?

	Regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: [email] Line endings [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> writes:

>This really need mixing in Maven, but it can be fixed
>by adding code to maven.xml. I suggest we watch the
>math thread. If nothing comes of it, then let it be
>for now.

Thanks for pointing out. I'll watch and see what will happen there.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 12:40 +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>
> >> The dependency on commons-lang is IMHO not really a
> >> big issue. The jar
> >> has ~ 200k and we are talking about a component
> >> which is probably not
> >> used on J2ME. If 200k for a really useful library is
> >> a problem, then
> >> commons-email isn't probably the right tool either.
>
> >This is a belief that is correct in theory, yet proves
> >wrong in practice (based on user feedback). At some
> >point, I shall have to draw together all the URLs from
> >the net regarding inter-commons dependencies.
>
> >The two issues are jar-hell (where jar versions
> >required by two jars clash), and the forced jar effect
> >(where users resent having to pickup other jars to use
> >a library jar).
>
> I know everything about jar hell, using unreleased jar versions, maven
> SNAPSHOTs and build tools that suddently get redesigned while you are
> not looking. Trust me. I'm from Turbine. :-)
>
> I'd actually agree with you if it wasn't for commons-lang. To me,
> there are two commons libs which I would consider "ok" for another
> commons component to depend on them: commons-lang and
> commons-collections. Both are pretty stable, have no external
> dependencies themselves and they contain such a huge number of useful
> classes, that trying to replace these would IMHO lead to code
> duplication and code-rotting.
>
> Personally, I pretty much consider c-l and c-c part of the regular
> java toolbox. Trying to invent that code again and again makes IMHO no
> sense. We tried this over in Turbine land and I can only say I'm happy
> that we finally got rid of all that reinvented code and use the
> commons.

it's been great to see code factored into reusable libraries such as
lang and collections.

however, the perspective of creating basic reusable libraries is very
different from the perspective of creating applications. over the years,
some pretty bitter lessons have been learnt about the difficulties that
arise from dependencies between basic libraries. i agree with stephen
that dependencies between commons libraries is now considered something
to be avoided whenever possible.

many middleware vendors now repackage the basic libraries they use. this
allows them to depend upon a single known version without risking
conflict with libraries used by applications.

so, i'd suggest that email adopts a solution along those lines. the
simplest and quickest approach would be to simply copy the necessary
source and repackage it as org.apache.commons.email.lang. if people are
happy with this approach, i'd be willing to make the change.

- robert

Re: Lang dependency [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by Andrei Polushin <a-...@mail.ru>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen writes:
> Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>>My -1 will change to -0 if there is no public API
>>dependency on [lang] (as the dependency can then be
>>removed in v1.1). Which means changing the superclass
>>of EmailException, and following the pattern of
>>[collections] FunctorException.
>
> Give us a patch. Code before words. As I said, I've looked into this
> and I might do some work for 1.1. Not for 1.0.
>
> 	Regards
> 		Henning

The patch is in the attachment, followed by the Java code itself, and
there is nothing special: it does the same things, but without
dependency exposed in public API.

There will be not so good idea to apply this after release 1.0, since
that will mean breaking binary compatibility.

--Andrei Polushin

Re: Lang dependency [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
>
>> Give us a patch. Code before words. As I said, I've looked into this
>> and I might do some work for 1.1. Not for 1.0.
>

> I send this as a patch on Bugzilla today.

The patches are now there. They remove the whole [lang] dependency by
adding a package scoped EmailUtils class, and changing the
EmailException class.

The EmailException change could be applied separately if desired, but
since the tests pass with the whole change, I would suggest applying it.

I also noticed an oddity in Email.sendMimeMessage(), where the
Validate.notNull() method was used. This [lang] method will throw an
IllegalArgumentException in case of error, yet this is undocumented by
sendMimeMessage(). Also, every other error thrown by [email] is an
EmailException. So, perhaps this should be changed to throw an
EmailExecption?

BTW: The new classes use [lang]/[collections] brace positioning. Feel
free to adjust if you have a code formatter, or tell me to adjust them.

Stephen

Re: Lang dependency [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> writes:

>Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
>> Give us a patch. Code before words. As I said, I've looked into this
>> and I might do some work for 1.1. Not for 1.0.

>I send this as a patch on Bugzilla today.

Cool. Thanks.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> writes:

>> The dependency on commons-lang is IMHO not really a
>> big issue. The jar
>> has ~ 200k and we are talking about a component
>> which is probably not
>> used on J2ME. If 200k for a really useful library is
>> a problem, then
>> commons-email isn't probably the right tool either.

>This is a belief that is correct in theory, yet proves
>wrong in practice (based on user feedback). At some
>point, I shall have to draw together all the URLs from
>the net regarding inter-commons dependencies.

>The two issues are jar-hell (where jar versions
>required by two jars clash), and the forced jar effect
>(where users resent having to pickup other jars to use
>a library jar).

I know everything about jar hell, using unreleased jar versions, maven
SNAPSHOTs and build tools that suddently get redesigned while you are
not looking. Trust me. I'm from Turbine. :-)

I'd actually agree with you if it wasn't for commons-lang. To me,
there are two commons libs which I would consider "ok" for another
commons component to depend on them: commons-lang and
commons-collections. Both are pretty stable, have no external
dependencies themselves and they contain such a huge number of useful
classes, that trying to replace these would IMHO lead to code
duplication and code-rotting.

Personally, I pretty much consider c-l and c-c part of the regular
java toolbox. Trying to invent that code again and again makes IMHO no
sense. We tried this over in Turbine land and I can only say I'm happy
that we finally got rid of all that reinvented code and use the
commons.

I simply don't see the point. It is like saying "I don't want to use
HashMap because it is not in JDK 1.2; I write my own class". The point
of having commons is, that we actually use that code. We are not just
showcasing this, we are eating our own dog food.

And with tools that might some day (maven 2) or today (ivy) able to
resolve transitive dependencies, I don't even see a reason not to
include external dependencies even in the commons.

And commons-email is not exactly an "everyday, let's throw this in our
application" component like c-l, c-c or commons-math.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
wrote:
> Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>
> writes:
> Could you now please either supply strong facts (I
> do agree up to some
> point with you on the lang issue and I'm currently
> looking into
> it. But I see no way that we do any changes for the
> 1.0 release) or
> leave it.

I am asking for the exception to be changed with my
-1.

I am requesting the dependency to be removed because
it is essentially unecessary, and will damage the
reputation of [email] and commons by its presence.
However I recognise that the removal of the dependency
is more of a decision for the email committers.

> You had seven release candidates time to
> raise your
> concerns. Doing it on the vote isn't exactly nice.

I understand your fustration. We all have time
constraints. Part of my role as a commons committer
(and not an email committer) is to object to mistakes
that will bite commons as a whole, eg. via loss of
reputation. This is particularly important for a first
release.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
wrote:
> Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>
> writes:
> >e) Text files, including the NOTICE and LICENSE use
> Unix line endings.
> >This is a debated point, but I always prefer to see
> at least the zips
> >use Windows line endings.
>
> % svn propget svn:eol-style LICENSE.txt
> native
>
> I build on Linux. Eric on some other unixish
> platform. If you
> volunteer to build the ZIPs for us on Windows or can
> convince the
> maven people to put some magic in so that the line
> endings are
> correct, fine.

As I said, this is a minor point. On the math vote
thread, Brent commented:
"How about adding a call to Ant's fixcrlf task inside
our dist:build-bin and dist:build-src pregoals?
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/fixcrlf.html"

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
wrote:
> Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>
> writes:
> >d) Gump is currently failing commons-email. This
> doesn't give me
> >confidence in giving email a +1.
> Did you actually _look_ at the gump output? It says:
>
> The build cannot continue because of the following
> unsatisfied dependency:
>
> maven-findbugs-plugin-0.9.1.jar

My bad. Point withdrawn.

Stephen

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> writes:

>d) Gump is currently failing commons-email. This doesn't give me
>confidence in giving email a +1.

To quote Stefan: "Gump is an experiment. Not a code testing tool".

Did you actually _look_ at the gump output? It says:

The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied dependency:

maven-findbugs-plugin-0.9.1.jar (try downloading from http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven-findbugs-plugin/)

And if you look at ibiblio:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/maven-plugins/plugins/maven-findbugs-plugin-0.9.1.jar

Oh look! It is there! It just seems that gump is running maven with -o.
So it cannot find a dependency. Is this the fault of the project?
Surely not.

>e) Text files, including the NOTICE and LICENSE use Unix line endings.
>This is a debated point, but I always prefer to see at least the zips
>use Windows line endings.

% svn propget svn:eol-style LICENSE.txt
native

I build on Linux. Eric on some other unixish platform. If you
volunteer to build the ZIPs for us on Windows or can convince the
maven people to put some magic in so that the line endings are
correct, fine.

If you check out the source from SVN, you will get the correct line
endings for your platform. This how it works.

Could you now please either supply strong facts (I do agree up to some
point with you on the lang issue and I'm currently looking into
it. But I see no way that we do any changes for the 1.0 release) or
leave it. You had seven release candidates time to raise your

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On 9/2/05, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
[snip]
> two more points
>
> d) Gump is currently failing commons-email. This doesn't give me
> confidence in giving email a +1.

Gump is failing with a port in use problem.

> e) Text files, including the NOTICE and LICENSE use Unix line endings.
> This is a debated point, but I always prefer to see at least the zips
> use Windows line endings.
>
> Stephen

Bernard Shaw

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Re: [VOTE][restarted] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Release it already :-)

On 9/13/05, Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> wrote:
> I would like to restart the vote for Commons Email 1.0 based on RC8.
> The various packaging/dependency issues have been resolved, and
> Commons Email is working great on WebLogic.  While this voting
> process has dragged on, it has also led to a lot of polish being
> added, and reducing the chance of a 1.0.1 coming out in a week!
>
> [  ] +1 Release Email 1.0 based on RC8
> [  ] +0 General support but not definitive
> [  ] -0 Unhappy about the release but not definitive (We want to see
> RC9, RC10, and R11 first!)
> [  ] -1 Do not release Email 1.0 based on RC8
>
> Cheers,
> Eric Pugh
>

> On Sep 1, 2005, at 8:05 AM, Eric Pugh wrote:
>

> >> --
> >> 8<-----------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> [X ] +1 Release Email 1.0
> >> [ ] +0 General support but not definitive
> >> [ ] -0 Unhappy about the release but not definitive
> >> [ ] -1 Do not release Email 1.0
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Eric Pugh

Bernard Shaw

Re: [VOTE][restarted] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

>i don't seem to be able to RC8 in
>http://people.apache.org/~epugh/commons-email/. should i be looking
>somewhere else?

http://people.apache.org/~henning/commons-email/

:-)

	Best regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: [VOTE][restarted] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> writes:

>It looks like Commons Email 1.0 based on Henning's RC8 is go for launch!

Thanks! Start rolling the release right now. Just in time for the
Turbine 2.3.2 release. :-)

	Best regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: [VOTE][restarted] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 14:31 -0400, Eric Pugh wrote:
> I would like to restart the vote for Commons Email 1.0 based on RC8.
> The various packaging/dependency issues have been resolved, and
> Commons Email is working great on WebLogic.  While this voting
> process has dragged on, it has also led to a lot of polish being
> added, and reducing the chance of a 1.0.1 coming out in a week!
>
> [  ] +1 Release Email 1.0 based on RC8
> [  ] +0 General support but not definitive
> [  ] -0 Unhappy about the release but not definitive (We want to see
> RC9, RC10, and R11 first!)
> [  ] -1 Do not release Email 1.0 based on RC8

i notice that there a number of small points highlighted by the reports
(for example, javadoc warnings). i'd prefer it if these were fixed (it's
nice to see a polished release with all the reports clean) but i can't
see any that are likely to effect the code and this process has been
going on a long time now...

+0

- robert

Re: [VOTE][restarted] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Eric Pugh wrote:
> I would like to restart the vote for Commons Email 1.0 based on RC8.
> The various packaging/dependency issues have been resolved, and  Commons
> Email is working great on WebLogic.  While this voting  process has
> dragged on, it has also led to a lot of polish being  added, and
> reducing the chance of a 1.0.1 coming out in a week!
>
> [X] +1 Release Email 1.0 based on RC8
> [  ] +0 General support but not definitive
> [  ] -0 Unhappy about the release but not definitive (We want to see
> RC9, RC10, and R11 first!)
> [  ] -1 Do not release Email 1.0 based on RC8

I may not like the Unix line endings, but I'd rather see a release ;-)

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 10:50 -0400, Eric Pugh wrote:

> --8<-----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> [X] +1 Release Email 1.0
> [ ] +0 General support but not definitive
> [ ] -0 Unhappy about the release but not definitive
> [ ] -1 Do not release Email 1.0

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/05, Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> wrote:
 --8<-----------------------------------------------------------------

 [x] +1 Release Email 1.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> writes:

>[X] +1 Release Email 1.0

>The binaries and docs are available from http://people.apache.org/
>~epugh/commons-email/  I have ignored the unit tests as they are
>currently failing due to some other reason on my box.  They all pass
>cleanly on other Commons developer's boxes.  This might be a good
>thing to double check.

jar:jar, site, dist:build-bin and dist:build-src are ok on Linux with
JDK 1.4.2. And with the latest and greatest maven xdoc plugin, even
the site is readable again...

	Regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42