Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by lmhelp <lm...@wanadoo.fr> on 2009/05/04 17:38:17 UTC

Fop in Java and Eclipse

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reading my post.

Do you know about the following directory:

> "fop_0.95\examples\embedding\java\embedding"

in which one can find the following file:

> "ExampleXML2PDF.java" ?

This program allows to compute a ".pdf" file
given a ".xml" data file and a ".xsl" stylesheet.

I copied "ExampleXML2PDF.java" stricto (with no modifications)
to the "src/my_package_name" Eclipse folder
("my_package_name" is a Java package I created).

I launched it and it worked:
the ".pdf" file was correctly created.

Now, "ExampleXML2PDF.java" contains a class "ExampleXML2PDF"
which contains the "main" method (only). Everything is done
in that method.

[I wanted a "real" class with no "main" method]
I created a new Java class "XmlToPdfFactory"
and a new method "createPdfFile()" inside of
it.
Then, I copied stricto the contents of the "main"
method into "createPdfFile()".

After doing that, I created (in a method of another class)
an instance of the "XmlToPdfFactory" and sent the
"createPdfFile()" message to this new object:

> XmlToPdfFactory xmlToPdfFactoryObj = new XmlToPdfFactory();
> xmlToPdfFactoryObj.createPdfFile();

I get the following error:

> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> C:\Program Files\java\eclipse\WebContent\xml\xslt\projectteam2fo.xsl
> (The system cannot find the path specified)

And this is true, there is no "WebContent\xml\xslt\projectteam2fo.xsl"
in "C:\Program Files\java\eclipse\".

"WebContent\xml\xslt\projectteam2fo.xsl" exists but somewhere else...

I hope this problem is relevant here.

Thanks in advance for your help,
--
Lmhelp

Re: Fop in Java and Eclipse

Posted by lmhelp <lm...@wanadoo.fr>.
Well, here it is.

I really do not know if it's a bad or a good practice
nor what are the possible damaging consequences of it
but I changed the value of the "user.dir" (user's current
working directory) property of  the "System" class to
the root of my Eclipse project:

> Let us say for instance that the root of my Eclipse project is:
> "C:\foo\bar\myEclipseProject\"
>
> I added to my program the following line:
> System.setProperty("user.dir", "C:\\foo\\bar\\myEclipseProject");

And the program does what it is supposed to do... (generate at
the desired place the pdf file corresponding to a given (xml, xsl)
pair of files thanks to the fop processor).

Thanks for reading,
--
Lmhelp

Re: Fop in Java and Eclipse

Posted by lmhelp <lm...@wanadoo.fr>.
Hi again,

Apparently it wasn't the right place where to post my previous post... :-(
The problem is a Java, Eclipse related problem.
It is about the working directory of the program at a given moment...
I'm still working on it.
I'll post the solution as soon as I find it.

Thanks for reading,
--
Lmhelp