Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Morrow <da...@autodata.net> on 2006/02/04 15:00:21 UTC

KeepGenerated

Hi all, I recently made a change to my tomcat web.xml file in an effort
to avoid having to clear the work directory in an environment where
frequent code changes are being made.  I added the setting of
KeepGenerated=false.

It appears that this change has had the desired effect and I no longer
need to clear the work directory after every deployment of a new WAR
file......but at the same time, the same applications have seen a
dramatic improvement in performance.

It's my understand that JSP compilers read JSP source files and
generate/compile Java servlet classes (.class binary). To get the
binary, there is an intermediary file: the Java source code of the
compiled servlet. (Note: .java is not a .class is not a .jsp. It goes
.jsp --> .java --> .class). "keepgenerated" is whether to keep the
servlet java source code after the class file is compiled. A reason to
keep servlet source code is to match a runtime error from the servlet
class to the matching JSP code that created the problem.

If my thinking is correct, the change in KeepGenerated should have
decrease performance?  Am I correct in this assumption?
Does anyonw know of any drawbacks to what I have done?

David Morrow
Technical Systems Lead
Autodata Solutions Company
David.Morrow@Autodata.net
http://www.autodatasolutions.com <http://www.autodatasolutions.com/>

Tel: (519) 963-3020
Fax: (519) 451-6615

< Lead, follow or get out of the way! >

This message has originated from Autodata Solutions. The attached
material is the Confidential and Proprietary Information of Autodata
Solutions. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete
this message and notify the Autodata system administrator at
Administrator@autodata.net <mailto:Administrator@autodata.net
<ma...@autodata.net> >