Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by angie ahl <an...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/27 14:08:22 UTC

ModPerl2, Apache2, FreeBSD, ports and missing ModPerl::Registry

Hi Folks.

I've just got a new server running DirectAdmin on FreeBSD 5.3. I'm
brand new to FreeBSD apart from its similarity to OS X, which I use
all the time.

I upgraded to Perl 5.8.5 using a package:

pkg_add -r perl5.8

Then I upgraded to Apache2 and ModPerl1.99 as per the instructions successfully.

http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=441

running under cgi mode everything is fine, no problems loading server etc.

when I try and run in proper mod_perl mode the problems start. ie
using the ModPerl::Registry as a handler.

As per the MP2 getting started guide I've added the following to a
sites httpd.conf file:

 Alias /perl/ /home/angie/domains/domain.dom/public_html/perl/
  <Location /perl/>
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
      PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
      Options +ExecCGI
  </Location>

I Restarted directadmin & apache and loaded hello world script under /perl/.

I get an ISE and the errorlog says

ModPerl::Registry': Can't locate ModPerl/Registry.pm in @INC

so it is calling ModPerl::Registry but can't find it in @INC, but to
make things stranger, I have a cgi script called perldigger that gives
you a system overview and it says ModPerl::Registry is there, as does
the list of installed perl modules under the users admin in
directadmin.

Huh?

It's definately running Apache2:

Apache/2.0.52 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_17-dev Perl/v5.8.5 PHP/4.3.11
mod_ssl/2.0.52 OpenSSL/0.9.7d

and hello world Runs fine under cgi mode.

Anyone seen this one before?... so close, so easily, rats.

TIA

Angie

Re: ModPerl2, Apache2, FreeBSD, ports and missing ModPerl::Registry

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Yes, you must do that. Please see: http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/rename.html

Posted by angie ahl <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
angie ahl wrote:
> I found the problem
>
> It seems that it was not using the Apache2 directory of modules, it
> seems that the missing mp2 modules were in there.
>
> 1 change to the httpd.conf fixed it.
>
> at the top of my vhost I put:
>
> PerlModule Apache2
>
> Then it found what it needed. This wasn't in the httpd.conf example in
> getting your feet wet for mp2
>
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html
>
> Should it be there, is it required or is there something wrong with my setup?
>
> I also had a page that had the -wT switch on the first line which gave an error:
> can't locate Apache::Warn if I remember correctly. getting rid of the
> switch and putting in use strict; use warnings; fixed that, but
> thought I should mention it for the archive in case anyone finds this
> in the future following the same set up.

The docs are correct for RC5 (they aren't for older unsupported versions).
Install that and everything will work as documented.

Re: ModPerl2, Apache2, FreeBSD, ports and missing ModPerl::Registry

Posted by angie ahl <an...@gmail.com>.
I found the problem

It seems that it was not using the Apache2 directory of modules, it
seems that the missing mp2 modules were in there.

1 change to the httpd.conf fixed it.

at the top of my vhost I put:

PerlModule Apache2

Then it found what it needed. This wasn't in the httpd.conf example in
getting your feet wet for mp2

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html

Should it be there, is it required or is there something wrong with my setup?

I also had a page that had the -wT switch on the first line which gave an error:
can't locate Apache::Warn if I remember correctly. getting rid of the
switch and putting in use strict; use warnings; fixed that, but
thought I should mention it for the archive in case anyone finds this
in the future following the same set up.

Cheers

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
[...]

Posted by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at>.