Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "LeTortorec, Jean-Louis" <JL...@healthcore.com> on 2002/03/28 17:15:44 UTC

help on htaccess/htpasswd

Hi there.

I'm trying to protect a particular folder of my website.
For that, I created a .htaccess file in that folder:

	AuthUserFile /.../html/.htpasswd
	AuthGroupFile /dev/null
	AuthName "My folder"
	AuthType Basic
	<Limit GET POST>
	require valid-user
	</Limit>

And then I created the /.../html/.htpassd:
	/usr/local/apache/bin/htpasswd -c .htpasswd newusername

Now I have .htpasswd, .htaccess, and the following line in httpd.conf:
		AccessFileName .htaccess

		<Files ~ "^\.ht">
		    Order allow,deny
		    Deny from all
		    Satisfy All
		</Files>

I guess I forgot something because the protection does not work. I should
have a pop-up window asking me for my username and password. Any help? (the
Apache log files do not help)

Thanks.

About the previous question on subdomains, I'm working on it with my ISP.
I'll keep you posted.

Re: help on htaccess/htpasswd

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, LeTortorec, Jean-Louis wrote:

> 	AuthUserFile /.../html/.htpasswd
> 	AuthGroupFile /dev/null
> 	AuthName "My folder"
> 	AuthType Basic
> 	<Limit GET POST>
> 	require valid-user
> 	</Limit>

Please take whatever documentation you are using and throw it away.  It is
giving you bad advice.  Some good documentation is available here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html

Some problems I see:
1. Don't place the password file in a web-accessible directory.
2. Don't use <Limit GET POST> and </Limit>.  They are unnecessary and
possibly a security risk.
3. You probably need to read:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#htaccess-work

Joshua.