Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kamal Bhatt <kb...@tt.com.au> on 2008/02/06 04:08:32 UTC

Japanese postscript fonts

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any postscript Japanese fonts (or if
such a thing exists). I am talking about a font that doesn't simply
support Japanese at the expense of english, but support for Latin text,
Kana and Kanji.

I want postscript so I can support printing.

Thanks.

--
Kamal Bhatt

Re: Japanese postscript fonts

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Getting a font is one thing but the bigger problem is that FOP doesn't
support Japanese for PostScript output because it is still restricted to
use Type 1 fonts (PostScript fonts) that use WinAnsiEncoding. The second
step after finding a font would then for you be teaching FOP how to make
use of it. Better would probably be to teach the PSRenderer how to
embed TrueType fonts.

Your alternative is to generate PDF and convert it to PostScript
afterwards (using GhostScript or whatever).

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/output.html#ps-limitations

On 06.02.2008 04:08:32 Kamal Bhatt wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering if anyone knew of any postscript Japanese fonts (or if
> such a thing exists). I am talking about a font that doesn't simply
> support Japanese at the expense of english, but support for Latin text,
> Kana and Kanji.
>
> I want postscript so I can support printing.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Kamal Bhatt

Jeremias Maerki