Posted to announce@apache.org by Keith Wall <kw...@apache.org> on 2017/11/30 17:15:43 UTC

[SECURITY] [CVE-2017-15701] Apache Qpid Broker-J Denial of Service Vulnerability

CVE-2017-15701: Apache Qpid Broker-J denial of service vulnerability

Severity: Important

Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected: 6.1.0, 6.1.1, 6.1.2, 6.1.3, and 6.1.4

The broker does not properly enforce a maximum frame size in AMQP 1.0
frames.  A remote unauthenticated attacker could exploit this to cause
the broker to exhaust all available memory and eventually terminate.
Older AMQP protocols are not affected.

Resolution:

Users who have AMQP 1.0 support enabled (default) should upgrade their
Qpid Broker-J to version 6.1.5 or later.

Mitigation:

If upgrading the broker is not possible, users can choose to disable
AMQP 1.0 by either setting the system property
"qpid.plugin.disabled:protocolenginecreator.AMQP_1_0" to "true",
excluding "AMQP_1_0" from the supported protocol list on all AMQP
ports, or by removing the AMQP 1.0 related jar files from the Java
classpath.

Re: [SECURITY] [CVE-2017-15701] Apache Qpid Broker-J Denial of Service Vulnerability

Posted by Keith Wall <kw...@apache.org>.
Sebb

On 1 December 2017 at 09:01, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From the peanut gallery:
>
> I would be helpful to include a link to the download page and the main
> website in announcements such as these.

Thanks for the feedback.  I try to adhere to the guidance[1] provided
by the Apache Security Team.  It suggests a model to follow when
making security announcements so that there is uniformity across the
projects.
I ought to have provided a link to Apache Qpid's security page which
lists the CVE [2] etc. I will endeavour to do in future.

[1] https://www.apache.org/security/committers.html
[2] https://qpid.apache.org/components/broker-j/security.html

Re: [SECURITY] [CVE-2017-15701] Apache Qpid Broker-J Denial of Service Vulnerability

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
From the peanut gallery: