Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2017/11/14 00:03:39 UTC

Add-in for Open/LibreOffice: should it be part of release?

Hello all

We are in the final stage of preparing Apache SIS 0.8-RC1 for vote. A
new item that we could offer in this release is an add-in for performing
some coordinate operations inside OpenOffice or LibreOffice spreadsheet
(Calc). For now this add-in is available in a separated location [1]
because I'm not sure if it should be part of SIS release, for the reason
explained below. Instructions about add-in installation and usage are
available in French at [2] and will be translated in English before end
of next week.

The reason why I'm unsure if this add-in can be part of the release is
because it is shipped with EPSG geodetic dataset, which is subject to
EPSG terms of use [3]. Those terms of use are incompatible with Apache
license. For other modules, we have been careful to keep EPSG data in a
separated "non-free" directory; in order to include them, the user has
to take a conscious action. However in the case of this add-in, when
user installs it, OpenOffice/LibreOffice shows the Apache License header
together with an EPSG header as shown at [4] (with the words "may
contain" replaced by "contains"). The installation proceed only if the
user click on "Accept". Is it sufficient for making this add-in eligible
to release together with other artifacts? Is there an interest for such
add-in in the first place?

    Martin

[1] http://home.apache.org/~desruisseaux/OpenOffice/
[2] http://sis.staging.apache.org/openoffice/fr/index.html