Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chong Yu Meng <ch...@cymulacrum.net> on 2003/06/01 16:15:16 UTC

Re: Can't find TomcatStarter & Startup Errors & Apache crash

Allen Williams wrote:

>I haven't tried recompiling from source.  I am hoping I won't have to go
>that far!

I hear you, Allen ! I am trying not to do that for my Linux installation
as well. It tends to increase the number of questions and the risk of
breaking something. Which is why I always try the rpm or binaries
approach first, and try to stick with it come hell or high water.

>mod_jk2-2.0.43.dll
>mod_jk2-1.3.27.dll
>mod_jk2.dll

mod_jk2 can run on both Apache 1.3.x as well as Apache 2.x. The second
DLL file, mod_jk2-1.3.27.dll seems to be made for Apache 1.3.27. I
wouldn't expect it to work for Apache 2. Having said that, I was
wondering if there were multiple versions of mod_jk2 for Windows, like
there is for Linux (v 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 for example).

>At this point, it does not look like compiling from source is a trivial
>option.  I really don't know the development paths and structures and file
>organization (although I'd like to learn because I'd like to contribute, and
>also because I could then solve my immediate problem *very* expeditiously),

I've heard that trying to compile using Visual C++ can be an ordeal in
itself. I'd have tried to help you, except I have a deep aversion to
everything Microsoft (and Oracle) because of some things that happened
to me in the past.

>At this point, I'm in sequestered meditation, prayerfully contemplating the
>possibility someone has seen this before, or that a developer will see what
>I've got here and respond :-)  Otherwise I may drop all the way back to
>mod_jk.  I've heard NOT to use warp, but haven't tried it.

Well, no point dropping back to warp because that module will no longer
be developed further, or so I hear. If you have the luxury of time, I
would say meditating on it is good. It should not be long before they
churn out another binary, I should think, because of certain problems
with SSL connections that were solved only in the latest CVS version of
mod_jk2.

Regards,
pascal chong