Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com> on 2008/11/01 03:13:49 UTC

Getting serious about a 1.0 release.

Hi everybody,

We've sort of waffled on release for a while now, and I'd like to get the
ball rolling again. Things seem pretty stable right now, but if we don't
move to get a release the spec process is going to make releasing soon very
difficult.

So lets lock down and get released.

We're pretty much fully 0.8.1 compliant (barring a few minor issues). We
have some of the 0.9 stuff already implemented, but we should not consider
that "advertised" yet until it's really finalized and developers start
expecting it.

So, where do we stand? Can everyone agree on a branch and release two weeks
from now?

I'd like this to be the "1.0" release, with the next release including
support for opensocial 0.9. I don't feel that it's a good idea to align our
versions with the specifications versions, but we should include something
in our version string or release notes that makes compatibility obvious.

Shindig will be 1 year old on December 12th (well, it's technically a few
weeks older than that but that's the oldest commit I can find in SVN).
Surely we can get a release out before then!

Re: Getting serious about a 1.0 release.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
I would like to see the 1.0 go into a release, but just at the moment
I probably dont have enough time to go through the process (alone)
SHINDIG-776
Was talked on list, I think the view expressed by other committers was
that jslint produces a lots of warnings that may not be relevant, that
view, if widely held should be synchronized with the issue and the
appropriate action taken ( probably wont fix on the branch)

SHINDIG-560
A merge is required from trunk as the version of the patch committed
to the 1.0.x is before it was reworked by Adam removing some major
issues with the earlier version.

SHINDIG-803
Would probably apply, but I wonder what the support for hasFeature is
like in trunk ? Anyone ?

SHINDIG-907
Should be quite easy to apply.

If I get a moment I will try and pull them into the branch.

Has anyone looked at the readiness of the jars for a release ?

Ian

Posted by Tim Moore <tm...@atlassian.com>.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:57 AM, Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:

> I am ok for a branch, it would be good to check how the release is going to
> be done with the mix of java and php, as I would assume this wont just be a
> tarball of the source tree ?

Tarball for PHP and normal maven release for java.

> Some blocker issues
> ------------------------
> I have a minor concern and some advice needed on SHINDIG-562, which is the
> blocker on the XML format for the RPC interface.
>
> There were a reasonable number of issues/bugs in the XSD that was released
> for 0.8.1 in the spec.
> These will be fixed in 0.9, but if I implement to the 0.8.1 it will change
> on the next release and wont be backwards compatible.

I think that's just something we'll have to live with. I'd rather not wait
until 0.9 is final for a release -- that'll put us at January or February
most likely.

Posted by Jerôme Gangneux <gi...@gmail.com>.
I'm really excited about a 1.0 release
but it needs some documentation as well because ok you got a perfectly fine
runing example: partuza
and some wiki to setup that but it misses lots of information and details
and a 1.0 is also documentation :-)

Have a good day

-- Jerome

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Ok, I have no problem with that, what ever is the normal way of doing
things.
Ian

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@google.com>.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Just a thought,

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
SHINDIG-497 is now fixed,
please feel free to branch,
thank you for waiting.
Ian

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
I think it wont take me long, just need to put some unit tests in and
make certain that the Atom encapsulation is Ok.
There are probably one or two other things that need doing around
getting the license files in the jars. I should be finished in an hour
on this and then move onto the atom.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
I'm back now.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:

> I can do a maven assembly plugin to generate the artifacts (including the
> php tarball) and check that the release plugin works.
>
> I assume that the php tarball just need to be the source tree, excluding
> the java subtree... or is it more complex than that ?

The least-effort solution is to gather shindig/* -java the java dir, this
way everything would work without any moving or reconfiguring.

I might take a quick look tomorrow to see if it would be 'easier' for the
end-users if in the release tarbal everything is moved around a bit, but due
to the confusion this is bound to cause if people then switch to svn or read
svn based docs, I don't think this is likely to be the best solution.

So yeah, your solution sounds good :)

Re: Getting serious about a 1.0 release.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Chris,

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Chris,
I have committed a maven assembly project to build a PHP tarball.
I dont know exactly how you want the php things packaged, and I am
guessing you dont want the java code.

update and
cd assembly
mvn package

should generate
target/shindig-php-1-SNAPSHOT-binary.tar.bz2
target/shindig-php-1-SNAPSHOT-binary.tar.gz
target/shindig-php-1-SNAPSHOT-binary.zip

the config for what is in an what is out is in
./src/main/assembly/deploy.xml

I you are happy with this I can probably wire it into the many release
target in the base pom so it gets signed when Kevin does the release.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@skife.org>.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.