Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marcus Schopen <li...@localguru.de> on 2018/12/20 11:35:54 UTC

config: warning: description exists for non-existent rule EXCUSE_24

Hi,

I get a warning, when updating the channel:

------
config: warning: description exists for non-existent rule EXCUSE_24

channel: lint check of update failed, channel failed
sa-update failed for unknown reasons
------

Cheers
Marcus

Re: sa-update is broken on updates.spamassassin.org channel [was: Re: config: warning: description exists for non-existent rule EXCUSE_24]

Posted by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 21 Dec 2018, at 15:52, Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:
> cd `mktemp -d -t HappyMichael???`

I'd prefer you did

cd `mktemp -d -t saupdate`

--
I gotta straighten my face This mellow-thighed chick just put my spine
out of place

Posted by Michael Orlitzky <mi...@orlitzky.com>.
On 12/21/18 5:52 PM, Bill Cole wrote:

> Fine:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cd `mktemp -d -t HappyMichael???`

Yes, Merry Christmas =P

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 21 Dec 2018, at 15:57, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> On 12/20/18 7:00 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
>>
>>      mkdir /tmp/saupdate-1849156
>
> Never use a fixed path under /tmp =)

Fine:

#!/bin/sh
cd `mktemp -d -t HappyMichael???`
curl -O http://sa-update.spamassassin.org/1849156.tar.gz
curl -O http://sa-update.spamassassin.org/1849156.tar.gz.asc
curl -O http://sa-update.spamassassin.org/1849156.tar.gz.sha245
curl -O http://sa-update.spamassassin.org/1849156.tar.gz.sha512
sa-update -D --install 1849156.tar.gz

Posted by Michael Orlitzky <mi...@orlitzky.com>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 20 Dec 2018, at 17:54, Bill Cole wrote:

> If you cannot wait 5 more hours and have an updated SVN checkout of
> the 'trunk' code, you can run:
>
>     make clean ; echo |perl Makefile.PL ; make build_rules
>
> That will leave a proper set of rules files in the rules/ directory.
> If you copy rules/72_active.cf to your local site-wide rules directory
> (probably  /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004002/updates_spamassassin_org/)
> you will fix the worst effects of last night's broken update.

It has been pointed out to me that a simpler and less error-prone fix
would be to revert to the prior day's rule collection:

    mkdir /tmp/saupdate-1849156
    cd $_

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 20 Dec 2018, at 17:56, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>> We've had a few occurrences of essentially the same problem (a bad
>> rules package due to an ignored lint failure in a nightly update)
>> over
>> the past few years. In addition to correcting the problematic rule I
>> have also fixed the script which intentionally (!) masked the lint
>> failure and allowed the broken rules package to be built and
>> distributed.
>>

> The file shouldn't get installed though because sa-update checks the
> lint, doesn't it?

It depends on why the lint failed in the update process and on the local
config. In the immediate case, sa-update installed the bad package.

The root cause of this particular failure was a 'replace_tag' rule that
was outside an 'ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ReplaceTags' block.
Because 'make build_rules' runs with minimal plugins loaded, the rule
failed to parse and the design error in the mkrules script papered over
the problem with an empty 72_active.cf. The rules package was assembled
correctly with that empty file. When tested by sa-update after download,
the rules pass lint because the file where the 'bad' rule would have
gone was empty.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 12/20/2018 5:54 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2018, at 13:41, Bill Cole wrote:
>
>> This should now be fixed for the next rules update.
>
> And, On 20 Dec 2018, at 17:04, (ignoring an explicit Reply-To header
> in a direct message to me!) Frank Giesecke wrote:
>
>> How can I force the rules update?
>
> You cannot. The "rules update" I referred to is the one that runs
> every night on an Apache infrastructure host, to update the default
> rules channel. The update completes around 03:30 UTC.
>
>> I still get the error on my Debian system.
>
> If you cannot wait 5 more hours and have an updated SVN checkout of
> the 'trunk' code, you can run:
>
>     make clean ; echo |perl Makefile.PL ; make build_rules
>
> That will leave a proper set of rules files in the rules/ directory.
> If you copy rules/72_active.cf to your local site-wide rules directory
> (probably  /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004002/updates_spamassassin_org/)
> you will fix the worst effects of last night's broken update.
>
> We've had a few occurrences of essentially the same problem (a bad
> rules package due to an ignored lint failure in a nightly update) over
> the past few years. In addition to correcting the problematic rule I
> have also fixed the script which intentionally (!) masked the lint
> failure and allowed the broken rules package to be built and distributed.

The file shouldn't get installed though because sa-update checks the
lint, doesn't it?

--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 20 Dec 2018, at 18:11, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> Wouildn't an easier fix would be curl on the yesterday's update and
> sa-update from a file?

Well, yes. That would be easier and less error-prone...

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Wouildn't an easier fix would be curl on the yesterday's update and
sa-update from a file?
--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
So this will resolve with the masscheck tonight and subsequent rule build?
--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 4:58 PM Bill Cole <

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
Fixed.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 20 Dec 2018, at 12:00, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> Interesting...

Mea culpa. Sorta. My bit is fixed now.

See
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/spamassassin/trunk/rulesrc/sandbox/billcole/24_mixed_es.cf?r1=1849420&r2=1849419&pathrev=1849420

Fwd: sa-update is broken on updates.spamassassin.org channel [was: Re: config: warning: description exists for non-existent rule EXCUSE_24]

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Interesting...

config: warning: description exists for non-existent rule EXCUSE_24]
To: <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>

Posted by Marcus Schopen <li...@localguru.de>.