Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2002/08/21 06:31:07 UTC

excalibur/meta + excalibur/container

The excalibur/meta and excalibur/container packages are now in place.
I've updates the depchecking system to ensure that these resources are
available for other projects. I've also executed a clean checkout and
build, and updated the sources to pass the checkstyle target.

Here is a summary of the two packages:

* exacalibur/meta

provides a set of container independent utilities dealing with
meta-info management - including DTD loading, Type meta-info
creation and validation

DTDs supported by the package include:

- the Type DTD
- containerkit
- Phoenix blockinfo

APIs are closely related to the original work from Pete
and refect reflect the subsequant input from Leo, Nicolas,
and Berin on terminology, Leo's inputs on API friendliness
and the imput from Markus on core lifestyle concepts.

* excalibur/container

A set of abstract classes and interfaces dealing with lifecycle
extensions management covering the creation and destroy stages
typically handled by a LifecycleHelper class, and the access
and release stages typically handles by a lifestyle implementation.

These interfaces and classes reflect a consensus on
implementation approach based on work undertaken on the Fortress
container my Marcus and the Merlin container by myself together
with contributions from Berin.

The abstract implementations and interface are container
independent. Structural dependencies are limited to the
Avalon framework.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: excalibur/meta + excalibur/container

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> The excalibur/meta and excalibur/container packages are now in place.
> I've updates the depchecking system to ensure that these resources are
> available for other projects. I've also executed a clean checkout and
> build, and updated the sources to pass the checkstyle target.

Remember to add prj-meta and prj-container tasks to the root build.xml
file so that the various
root build targets work correctly.  Also add the new prj-x targets to
the dependency list of the
build-all-subprojects target.  Described in the build file.  If you
don't do this, then a clean build
is not really clean because the clean targets of the missing projects is
not being called.

Cheers,
Leif