Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by James Troup <ad...@linuxterminal.com> on 2006/10/14 03:39:52 UTC

DATA IMPORT

Hi All,
I work for a small company in Adelaide Australia and we are in the
process of getting OfBiz up and running.

I am facing the daunting task of getting the historical data out of the
old unix based system we are using into OfBiz.

I have looked through the info in the wiki on the go-integral.com
website, however I am still feeling quite under equipped for the task.

Can anyone point me to some more documentation on importing data into OfBiz?

Thanks,
James

Re: DATA IMPORT

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
Data mapping always seems to end up being far more complicated than
it appears at the start. That may be what people have been referring
to as the difficult part of this...

Tools can sometimes help with this, but only so much.

If you are exported to flat files then the tool you'll want to use in
OFBiz to read in that data is the Datafile tool, which can read flat
files into generic structures, and right them out again from the same
generic structures. The flat file format and fields definitions and
such are specified using XML files which makes code based on it more
flexible and easier to work with as understanding, and perhaps
requirements, change. With this you can write Java code to map the
incoming data from DataFile objects to GenericValue objects that the
Entity Engine can then drop into the database for you. You might want
to consider using a scripting language (BeanShell is well supported
in OFBiz) to make this a little easier to write/test/change/test/etc.

-David

Re: DATA IMPORT

Posted by James Troup <ad...@linuxterminal.com>.
The unix system is Acucobol.

--
	*LTS Australia
32 Cavendish Ave

Re: DATA IMPORT

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.

Re: DATA IMPORT

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
based on experience, it is better to have a direct connect, based on
manhours to get fixed width formatted and verified.

do a goggle search on
Unix odbc java
and you will get a lot of links
this one has many providers
http://www.unixodbc.org/drivers.html

 From there you have a couple of options.
one is to just dump the data and manually massage it to ofbiZ data. Not
recommenced.
second is to connect it to ofbiZ as it own instances and then write some
  code to port from it to ofbiz.
third is to write entity defs for the old data then use the entity
engine to covert from the old data to the new data.

each has it pluses and minuses.

James Troup sent the following on 10/13/2006 11:57 PM:

Re: DATA IMPORT

Posted by James Troup <ad...@linuxterminal.com>.
Hi BJ,

Re: DATA IMPORT

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: DATA IMPORT

Posted by Brett Palmer <br...@gmail.com>.
James,

A lot will depend on how you are mapping your data to the ofbiz
tables/entities.  Once you have the mapping you can export the data
into an XML document that matches the <entity-engine-xml>
</entity-engine-xml> format.  Then you can use the ofbiz webtools
application to import the data.  You can look at the
ecommerce/data/Demo*.xml files for examples.

The difficult part is going to be mapping the data correctly.  There
are a lot of foreign key constraints that you must adhere to or the
imports will fail.

Let me know if you need more details.

Brett