Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/19 11:53:38 UTC

projecthelp & bundled plugins

Hi there,

Just wondering what people thought to renaming the projecthelp plugin
to a more general 'help' plugin?  It would also fix the naming
discrepancy between 'projecthelp' and 'project-info-reports' plugin
names.

Also, I know the general plugin naming convention is *-maven-plugin
and was wondering if this would be applied to the plugins bundled with
m2?  i.e. war-maven-plugin, etc.  If so it may be worth doing so
before 2.0 final since it'll break pom plugin config in future.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: projecthelp & bundled plugins

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: projecthelp & bundled plugins

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 19/10/05, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Mark Hobson wrote:
> > Just wondering what people thought to renaming the projecthelp plugin
> > to a more general 'help' plugin?  It would also fix the naming
> > discrepancy between 'projecthelp' and 'project-info-reports' plugin
> > names.
>
> +1

Cool.

> > Also, I know the general plugin naming convention is *-maven-plugin
> > and was wondering if this would be applied to the plugins bundled with
> > m2?  i.e. war-maven-plugin, etc.  If so it may be worth doing so
> > before 2.0 final since it'll break pom plugin config in future.
>
> -1 (too late!)
>
> Actually, I'd always seen the convention as maven-foo-plugin, with
> bar-maven-plugin used when it is part of project "bar" (eg,
> plexus-maven-plugin).
>
> Given where we are now I think it's a fair convention to keep:
> - *-maven-plugin for plugins outside the Maven project
> - maven-*-plugin for plugins in org.apache.maven.plugins

Yeah thought it was a bit late to change, but figured it's now or
never.  I think maven-*-plugin works fine for internal maven plugins,
and I guess the convention holds since they are indeed maven plugins
for the maven project.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Mark Hobson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Just wondering what people thought to renaming the projecthelp plugin
> to a more general 'help' plugin?  It would also fix the naming
> discrepancy between 'projecthelp' and 'project-info-reports' plugin
> names.

+1

> Also, I know the general plugin naming convention is *-maven-plugin
> and was wondering if this would be applied to the plugins bundled with
> m2?  i.e. war-maven-plugin, etc.  If so it may be worth doing so
> before 2.0 final since it'll break pom plugin config in future.

-1 (too late!)

Actually, I'd always seen the convention as maven-foo-plugin, with
bar-maven-plugin used when it is part of project "bar" (eg,
plexus-maven-plugin).

Given where we are now I think it's a fair convention to keep:
- *-maven-plugin for plugins outside the Maven project
- maven-*-plugin for plugins in org.apache.maven.plugins

Cheers,
Brett