Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/15 14:05:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] PR VOTE and GitHub Code Review

GitHub released a new "code review" feature yesterday. You press a button
and can "approve of a PR" - kinda nice. You can see Kuppitz gave it a try
yesterday on this PR:

https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/416

as opposed to a VOTE +1. He seemed to like that and I do too. of course,
the "code review" feature isn't integrated with apache automation, so:

1. it doesn't tie to the JIRA comment system, so we don't get the VOTE
there.
2. as a result of 1, we don't get a email to dev capturing the VOTE. Since
all decisions must occur on the dev list - that's not so good.

Personally, I feel like the "code review" feature is sorta lacking. You
can't see the number of approvals summed up on the list screen, so you end
up going into the PR anyway to see who has approved. So that's not saving
any time. I also like that when we VOTE we usually comment something to say
how/what we tested - i think there's a option for that with code review,
but again, it's not like i see that without going into the issue anyway.

And all that aside, I think that without the apache automation, we
shouldn't use this. We have a good track record of using the dev list of
decision making - i think we should just stick to that. If you want a one
button push to +1 a PR, then, do what i do, and use a "saved comment" -
that works well for me for standard replies.

Re: [DISCUSS] PR VOTE and GitHub Code Review

Posted by Daniel Kuppitz <me...@gremlin.guru>.
I agree. It is a cool feature / nice idea, but it's too bad that these
reviews don't trigger email notifications.

Maybe we can revisit this option in the near future.

Cheers,
Daniel