Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2019/01/25 22:54:33 UTC

[RB] Working on Reproducible Builds for ASF projects

Hi,

As discussed in "Binary channels" thread on legal-discuss [1], Reproducible
Builds [2] is something that should be very interesting to improve management
of convenience binaries at ASF.

Reproducible Builds started with but is not limited to Linux distributions: in
ASF, interesting case would be language-specific distributions like Maven
Central, PyPI, npmjs, or even Dockerhub.

Some work has started at Reproducible Builds on the JVM [3]. That should
happen also for other "languages".

Are there Apache projects interested in working together to share experience
and improvements?

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/

[2] https://reproducible-builds.org/

[3] https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/jvm/

Re : Re: [RB] Working on Reproducible Builds for ASF projects

Posted by he...@free.fr.
Hi Joan,

Glad to see people interested in working on technical side before trying to eventually rework the legal aspects.

I don’t know precisely how we can help each other: it’s really up to everybody to define details.

When I read the case of CouchDB, IMHO, in addition to the language, there is an additionnal question: are binaries published by the project to another location than Apache dist?where?

Perhaps we could create a Wiki page listing for each project what that they do, so that others can see who has the same technical bits than himself.

I have personally one big question: when archives are made reproducible (be it zip or tar), how do you choose the timestamp value?
In Linux distributions, since the build is done independently from the upstream release, they can choose the value to put into EPOCH. But when the upstream project does his release, how is defined the timestamp value?

Regards,

Hervé
Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Hervé,