Posted to user@ant.apache.org by query <se...@rediffmail.com> on 2007/04/10 10:56:50 UTC

tasks for cl,rc,mc

Hi,

Currently , I am using Visuall C++ cl.exe, rc.exe amd mc.exe commands in ANT by using <exec> task and running them directly. Are there any tasks similar to these commands in ANT?

Re: tasks for cl,rc,mc

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
> > Currently , I am using Visuall C++ [...] ANT by using <exec> task
>
> 1. ant-contrib.sf.net has a <cc> task that wraps cl, link gcc, etc.
> http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/cc.html
>   "Java Development with Ant" has a chapter on this topic, so find
> someone who has a copy and borrow it (*).

<cc> is very good, but the learning curve is steep. What you get
though is *reliable* incremental builds, which can be invaluable for
large projects, and a cross-platform build.

> 2. the rest you can use <exec> for.

I also used <exec>, to call msdev.exe with .dsp and/or .dsw file, as
Steve mentions in his point #3. See also the /useenv switch to msdev.

> The Ant-contrib <outofdate> Task can be used to add timestamp logic around
> the <execs> : http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/tasks/tasks/outofdate.html

It's really good. I used it for yacc and lex stuff, around <exec>, and
also around <xslt> stuff (since xslt computes dependencies in a simple
fashion only, not taking <xsl:import>s or multiple document output).
Highly recommended. --DD

Re: tasks for cl,rc,mc

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
query wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently , I am using Visuall C++ cl.exe, rc.exe amd mc.exe commands in ANT by using <exec> task and running them directly. Are there any tasks similar to these commands in ANT?

1. ant-contrib.sf.net has a <cc> task that wraps cl, link gcc, etc.
http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/cc.html
  "Java Development with Ant" has a chapter on this topic, so find
someone who has a copy and borrow it (*).

2. the rest you can use <exec> for.

3. I've found in the past that it was easiest to exec the whole of
visual studio to do the work; you can call it on the command line to
build a big project. That way you don' t need to keep the build file in
sync with the IDE, but you do need to wait for the entire build to
finish before you get a line of output.

4. there is a library that can run msbuild or nant from under Ant:
http://ant.apache.org/antlibs/dotnet/

this lets you delegate the windows side of the build to tools that know
it. I dont know how well the dotnet build tools support cl, mc and other
native Win32/64 build tools. It may just be best to use <exec>. The
Ant-contrib <outofdate> Task can be used to add timestamp logic around
the <execs> : http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/tasks/tasks/outofdate.html

-Steve

(*) The forthcoming Ant in Action book has dropped this chapter; I will
stick the PDF of it up on antbook.org at some time in the future.