Posted to ftpserver-dev@incubator.apache.org by Laurent Devos <de...@yahoo.de> on 2006/03/14 18:37:03 UTC

Questions about the development of ftpserver (run as a service, applet, performance)

Hi,

are there some actual developments about this points:

  - translation possibility (like the stats messages) for the configuration UI (User Interface),

  - possibity to configure the FTPserver without to start it.
     Reason:
         - let run the FTPserver as a service,
         - configure it with the UI (actually cannot be started again because of the service already use the IP port),
         - save the configuration with the UI,
         - restart the service

   - add the possibility to restart (or reload the new configuraion) the FTPserver running as a service from the UI,

   - optimize performance for transfering small files,

   - add the possibility to use the UI as an applet

I will use the ftpserver in a software in german and need to have the configuration tool in german. If nothing is done actually about it, I will done it myself and submit a patch.

The second big problem I have is the performance by transfering many small files. I make a comparaison with the ftp server installed with Linux. ftpserver is very slow.
Do you know why?

What can I do to optimize it?

Laurent Devos

Re: Questions about the development of ftpserver (run as a service, applet, performance)

Posted by Rana Bhattacharyya <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

  Please find the answers below.

1. UI translation can be done very easily if someone
translates all the strings used in UI. Then we can
modify the UI to use appropriate resource bundle.

2. FTP Server can be run as Windows service. Please
see
http://incubator.apache.org/ftpserver/faq.html#ftpserver_service
We do not bundle this as it depends on 3rd party
software an native OS API.

3. For the above reason we have not added this
start/stop service feature in the UI.

4. We have no added edit configuration UI as the
configuration structure we use is very generic. It
does not depend on the FTP server. The configuration
utility will be a separate application altogether. If
you have the patch we shall be more than happy to
apply it after review with the fellow committers.

5. There is a upload/download bandwidth limitation
associated with an user. Are you sure that there is
not any bandwidth limit? If even after that you are
encountering performance issue, please let us know.
Your feedback will be very useful.

6. As of now there is no plan to port the UI to
applet.  Now we should start thinking about it.

Thanks,
Rana Bhattacharyya

http://mail.yahoo.com