Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2003/04/15 21:59:36 UTC

[SURVEY] for repository administrators

If you create Subversion repositories, please respond to this survey.
Follow up to the whole list, not just to me personally.  Keep the same
subject line, though, so it's easy for people to filter out the

   1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
      January of this year?

   2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
      'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
      Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
      new repository?

      If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

   3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
      'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
      Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

      If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Thanks!  Any other thoughts about the templates are also welcome, but
do put them in a separate section from your survey responses.

-Karl

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

Several toy ones, for experimenting with.  Part of testing bugs.

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?
>
>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

I remember the feature being committed, then forgot it existed for
many weeks.  I've never tried using it.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?
>
>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Same answer.

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Chris Parker <su...@playswithfire.com>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 04:59:36PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

5 or 6

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?

Yes.

>       If so, did you understand what it does?

Not completely.

>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

Never.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

No.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?

Yes.

>       If so, did you understand what it's for?

Yes.

>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

No.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

No.

> Thanks!  Any other thoughts about the templates are also welcome, but
> do put them in a separate section from your survey responses.

<section type="separate from my survey responses">

I have a tendency now to just set up the repository and script the
initial setup into it for the in-repos template, as well as the
on-disk stuff. Maybe providing a script to do this as part of svn?

</section>

.chris

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

3 or 4, not counting test repositories.

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

I was aware of it (from its design discussions).  I never use it.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

I was aware of it (again from design discussions).  I never use it.

Posted by Josef Wolf <jw...@raven.inka.de>.
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 01:34:14PM -0500, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Brian Denny <br...@briandenny.net> writes:

> > so let me get this straight: the benefit of the --in-repos-template
> > feature is that it allows you to say
> >
> >   svnadmin create --in-repos-template=TEMPLATE /path/to/repos
> >
> > instead of
> >
> >   svnadmin create /path/to/repos
> >   svnadmin import file:///path/to/repos /path/to/TEMPLATE
>
> I think that's an accurate summary, yes.

But this is (IMHO) not sufficient. How do you attach initial
properties? What about hook-scripts and their configs?

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Brian Denny <br...@briandenny.net> writes:
> so let me get this straight: the benefit of the --in-repos-template
> feature is that it allows you to say
>
>   svnadmin create --in-repos-template=TEMPLATE /path/to/repos
>
> instead of
>
>   svnadmin create /path/to/repos
>   svnadmin import file:///path/to/repos /path/to/TEMPLATE

I think that's an accurate summary, yes.

Regarding your question about project layouts, the first layout you
listed is not the recommended one.  Both the second and third layouts
are recommended, however, because they're both special cases of the
general pattern

   .../.../.../PROJECT_ROOT/trunk
                           /branches
                           /tags

The project root might be "/", it might be "/clients/myclient/", it
might be "/myproject/", or anywhere else.  But once you're *at* a
project root, we recommend laying out the standard three subdirs
beneath it.

The book doesn't document this yet, iirc, that's why the confusion.

-Karl

Posted by Brian Denny <br...@briandenny.net>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:35:12PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:

> That is the intent of the feature. An administrator can augment the set of
> templates by adding them to .../templates/in-repos/ or .../on-disk/. From
> then on, a user can just refer to them by name [rather than path].

so let me get this straight: the benefit of the --in-repos-template
feature is that it allows you to say

  svnadmin create --in-repos-template=TEMPLATE /path/to/repos

instead of

  svnadmin create /path/to/repos
  svnadmin import file:///path/to/repos /path/to/TEMPLATE

...  however, the feature doesn't help you if you want to create
a layout under a particular project (where a project is some
subdirectory of the repository); in that case, you can use 'svn
import' instead.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:03:52PM -0700, Brian Denny wrote:
> you know, why don't we install a sample layout in PREFIX/share,
> and tell users to import it into each new repository and/or new
> project?

Heh. That is exactly the intent. See the machinery in configure.in to set up
the "templatedir" variable. Basically:

    PREFIX/share/subversion/VERSION/templates/in-repos/TEMPLATE-NAME/

(whew!)

A person can specify just a TEMPLATE-NAME, or a path.

> of course, they could do this even if we don't install a sample
> layout, but if the point is to encourage them to adopt a sane
> convention, providing one for them might do the trick.  and of
> course, they can customize it to their heart's content if they are
> so inclined.

That is the intent of the feature. An administrator can augment the set of
templates by adding them to .../templates/in-repos/ or .../on-disk/. From
then on, a user can just refer to them by name [rather than path].

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Brian Denny <br...@briandenny.net>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:08:17PM -0500, kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> >    /project_a/trunk
> >    /project_a/tag
> >    /project_a/branch
> >    /project_b/trunk
>
> Actually, that *is* the Subversion recommended layout (by which I
> guess I mean, the one the book authors intend to promote).  It's just
> that a "project root" might be located at any point in the hierarchy,
> not just at the top level.

how can the suggested mechanism lay out the repository if it doesn't
know the projects?   oh, are you saying that by creating '/trunk'
etc. it would be doing a layout for the implicit project at '/'...?
(personally i wouldn't put an implicit project at '/' unless i were
doing one repository per project.)

Michael Price <mi...@acm.org> writes:
> Of course, you then have all of the people (like me) who think that
> the top level directory should be project names with each project
> having the appropriate subdirectories. I also happen to use the
> singular form of each as in:
>
>    /project_a/trunk
>    /project_a/tag
>    /project_a/branch
>    /project_b/trunk

Actually, that *is* the Subversion recommended layout (by which I
guess I mean, the one the book authors intend to promote).  It's just
that a "project root" might be located at any point in the hierarchy,
not just at the top level.

For example, in svn.collab.net repository, we have one project root at
"/", and another one at "/clients/gsvn/", and another one at
"/clients/rapidsvn/".

-K

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
kfogel@collab.net writes:

> junkio@cox.net writes:
> >     /trunk/skel/README /tag/skel /branch/skel
> >
> > and tell the user to run 3 "svn copy" commands (to copy skel to
> > practice) in the tutorial.
>
> Yah; actually, problems like this can be solved with one "svn import"
> command too, so you do it all in a single revision.

Exactly.  Again, my point was specifically *not* to design something
flexible.  It was to offer the convenience incentive for
administrators who want to see things my way.  :-)

Posted by ju...@cox.net.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

>> ... since we as a community have established that we'd like to politically
>> push a recommended (/trunk, /tags, /branches) layout, I'd be +1 on a
>> single flag to svnadmin create, '--auto-layout', which created those
>> directories.

Sounds like a good idea.  Maybe --auto-layout can have a
parameter (project-first vs. project-last) as well?

M> Of course, you then have all of the people (like me) who think that
M> the top level directory should be project names with each project
M> having the appropriate subdirectories...

The initial template could contain:

    /skel/trunk /skel/tag /skel/branch /skel/README

and the tutorial could tell the user to run "svn copy $URL/skel
$URL/practice" before starting the practice area.

On the other hand, people who want to promote layout that has
trunk, tag, branch at the root level could use a template like
this:

Posted by Michael Price <mi...@acm.org>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> I'm not fond, at all, of either of these template mechanisms, but
> since we as a community have established that we'd like to politically
> push a recommended (/trunk, /tags, /branches) layout, I'd be +1 on a
> single flag to svnadmin create, '--auto-layout', which created those
> directories.  I don't care about making custom layouts automatically
> available, but I *do* care about encouraging folks to use the one
> layout which we are trying to promote as a sort of de facto standard.

Of course, you then have all of the people (like me) who think that the
top level directory should be project names with each project having the
  appropriate subdirectories. I also happen to use the singular form of
each as in:

   /project_a/trunk
   /project_a/tag
   /project_a/branch
   /project_b/trunk

So while I'd be +1 on your '--auto-layout' I'd never actually use it :)

Michael

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

> If you create Subversion repositories, please respond to this survey.
> Follow up to the whole list, not just to me personally.  Keep the same
> subject line, though, so it's easy for people to filter out the
>
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

Real persistent ones?  Maybe 2 or 3.  But hundreds in the course of
testing Subversion or ViewCVS, I'm sure.

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

Aware -- yes.  Understand -- yes.  Use -- never.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

Aware -- yes.  Understand -- yes.  Anticipated use -- never.

Posted by Brian Denny <br...@briandenny.net>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 04:59:36PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:

>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

Not counting temporary repositories for testing/debugging purposes,
only one.

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?
[snip]
>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?
[snip]
>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

I wasn't aware of either of them until the recent thread, i've never used
either of them, and honestly i'm not even entirely sure i have them
straight in my head now -- a fact which surely reflects my lack of need
for them.  But then, i'm about as small-time as repository administrators
get.

-brian

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Michael Price <mi...@acm.org>.

6

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

Vaguely remember reading an email that mentioned it but never checked it
out myself.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

Same here.

It was mildly annoying setting up the hook scripts on my first repo but
after that I just copied them (with minor edits) for my other repositories.

Michael

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Martin Ott <ot...@in.tum.de>.
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

5 production repos, 1 test repo

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

No

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

No

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

No

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Yes

--
Martin Ott                            Email: ott@cs.tum.edu
Institut fuer Informatik

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Ross Mark <ro...@controllingedge.com.au>.

>If you create Subversion repositories, please respond to this survey.
>Follow up to the whole list, not just to me personally.  Keep the same
>subject line, though, so it's easy for people to filter out the
>
>   1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>      January of this year?

33+
All created using the web admin script written by Josef Wolf and posted
on the dev list. Not all of these were created by me as developers can
create them as needed. We use 1 per project and use svn:externals to
link them together.

>   2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>      'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>      Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>      new repository?

No

>      If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

No

>   3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>      'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>      Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

No

>      If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

No

While I don't use svn's switches for templates I do use the one from the
svn-admin cgi. This should probably make use of the cmd line switches
rather than it's current method of doing an import.

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
Karl Fogel wrote:

>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

6 real/production ones, several experimental ones.

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

Tried it some weeks ago in an experimental repo but got interrupted and
forgot to follow it...

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?
>
>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?
>
>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

I was aware of it, but I didn't try it.

Cheers,
Erik

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl...@wasmer.ca>.
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

2 production
1 test

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?

No

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

I didn't need to change my repository settings, so this option is not
usefull right now.
I'm glad I know about it now, I'm sure I'll use it in the future.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?

No

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Yes... although I can't say I wasted a lot of time setting up the
repositorie's structures.

Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net> writes:
> 3) Was aware, again not sure how it all works, WOULD use it if understood it. :D

If you still don't know what it does, how do you know that you'd use
it? :-)

(Sorry, I don't mean to interfere with the survey, but I totally
didn't understand that answer...)

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net>.
1) 4
2) Yes am aware, no, not sure what exactly it does, never used it.

Posted by Vlad Skvortsov <vs...@ulstu.ru>.

	1

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?

	I was aware of some feature called --on-disk-template being in
development. But as I thought it wasn't yet complete I didn't bother taking
it into account.

>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

	Never yet.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

	I'm still unaware of it.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?
>
>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

	The same as point 2.

Vlad Skvortsov, vss@ulstu.ru, vss@high.net.ru

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Karl Fogel wrote:

> If you create Subversion repositories, please respond to this survey.
> Follow up to the whole list, not just to me personally.  Keep the same
> subject line, though, so it's easy for people to filter out the
>
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

10 - one per project, all of which except for one are just being used by
me at the moment

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

I had no idea.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

I wish I could better docs on it!

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

No

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Ditto.  The book just isn't helping me understand this yet.

-dave

/*=======================
House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Karl Fogel wrote:

> If you create Subversion repositories, please respond to this survey.
> Follow up to the whole list, not just to me personally.  Keep the same
> subject line, though, so it's easy for people to filter out the
>
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

8.

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?

I was aware of it when it was checked in, but I forgot about it.

>       If so, did you understand what it does?

Yes.

>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

Never.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

No, not really.

For my current projects, I set up a new directory named common-hooks/.
I just added a symlink from each hook directory to the files I wanted
to share.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?

Yes.

>       If so, did you understand what it's for?

Yes.

>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?
>
>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

No, not really.  I may start using it, but for each of the new
repositories, they didn't begin with trunk/, tags/, or branches/.
These repos were

    Sponsor1/
        branches/
        tags/
        trunk/
    Sponsor2/
        branches/
        tags/
        trunk/

So I don't think it would help too much.

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>
Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Jay 'Whip' Grizzard <el...@lupine.org>.
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

~6 for real use, probably several dozen for various bits of testing, at
this point.

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

I'm aware of it now, understand what it does, but haven't sat down to think
about things like 'what I want in my standard hooks' yet.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?

I went looking for this the last time I needed to create a repository, spent
some time setting up a 'template' repository, and was annoyed when
providing the --in-repos-template flag did ... absolutely nothing.

>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

I'd use it 99.9% of the time, unless there was some way for me to set my
default, in which case, I'd use it 99.9% of the time .. implicitly.

-jay

<#insert templates whine here>

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Daniel Patterson <da...@adaptiveinternational.com>.
On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 07:59, Karl Fogel wrote:
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

  2, and a few for testing.

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

  Nope.  Not really.  Never.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

  Nope.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

  Nope.  Not really.  Never.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

  Nope

I'm finding that repository creation for me, is going to be a pretty
rare event.  We have lots of crossover between projects (shared code),
so for the most case, I'm only likely to see One Big Repository in order
to keep a full history of what our code does.  The smaller repositories
are going to be so transient that it won't be worth the effort of
setting up any kind of templates (each one is likely to be different).

daniel

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Russell <r-...@adelie.ath.cx>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 04:59:36PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> If you create Subversion repositories, please respond to this survey.
> Follow up to the whole list, not just to me personally.  Keep the same
> subject line, though, so it's easy for people to filter out the
>
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

3 in regular use, 3 more in intermittent use.  All one repo per project.
Several more for testing and learning.

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

Wasn't aware of it before the recent thread.
I think I understand the intent of the feature.
Never used it.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Yes.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?
>
>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Same as above.

> Thanks!  Any other thoughts about the templates are also welcome, but
> do put them in a separate section from your survey responses.

I like the idea having one or several templates, so that new svn users
can create a repository quickly, without having to go through what this
list is going through now, ie "how do I lay out the repository?".  It
reduces the number of things that a new admin needs to learn about
right at the start.

Posted by Jeff Hinrichs <je...@delasco.com>.
Karl Fogel said:
> If you create Subversion repositories, please respond to this survey.
> Follow up to the whole list, not just to me personally.  Keep the same
> subject line, though, so it's easy for people to filter out the
>
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?
        20, 1 per project

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?
        No, No, Unknown until I grok it
>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?
        Unknown until I grok it

Posted by Nicholas Riley <nj...@uiuc.edu>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 04:59:36PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> If you create Subversion repositories, please respond to this survey.
> Follow up to the whole list, not just to me personally.  Keep the same
> subject line, though, so it's easy for people to filter out the
>
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

4 (excluding test repositories)

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

No; never.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Yes.  I've been using a shell script but this is a lot nicer.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

Yes; yes; sometimes, I've used it in the past.

--
=Nicholas Riley <nj...@uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Alexis Huxley <ah...@gmx.net>.
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

Same as the number of releases since then. Three or four?

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

Never heard of it :-) But just looked it at
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/book.html.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

It wouldn't have made any difference up to now; I have only been
reloading dumps as I follow the upgrade cycle.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?

Again, no, I wasn't aware of it.

>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

I can see it will be useful, and I'm sure that there will come a
time when I will say "Ah! *Now* I need that thing I heard mentioned
ages ago."

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Not yet, no. But in the future ..

Alexis

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Roy Whytock <ro...@panonet.net>.
 >  1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
 >     January of this year?
Around 40 some really small project repositories some quite big ones.

>   2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>      'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
No
>      If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?
Yes. Would have saved some scripting as we migrated from another
scm tool and use something like a promotion model and so don't quite use trunk
branches and tags

>   3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>      'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>      Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?
No
>      If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?
Yes,

--

Cheers

Roy

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Chrysophylax <ch...@chrysophylax.cjb.net>.
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

3, but that includes recreating a repository when upgrading Subversion.
  Have had one big repository going for several months now with 88
projects, most of which don't have branches or tags (yet).

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?

Nope.  It is hard to find documentation on these switches.  (The Windows
help file doesn't allow searching for some reason...)

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?

Likewise, no.

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, at 05:59 PM, Karl Fogel wrote:

> If you create Subversion repositories, please respond to this survey.
> Follow up to the whole list, not just to me personally.  Keep the same
> subject line, though, so it's easy for people to filter out the
>
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

4 or 5, i think.

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

i was aware of it, but don't use it.

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

i was aware of it, but don't see all that much need for it.

-garrett

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Jeff Putsch <pu...@mxim.com>.

2

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

Not aware.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Not yet, but in the near future...

>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

Not aware.

Just read the handbook from r5292 (getting a bit old) and still don't
quite understand what it's for:)

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Not sure...

Posted by "M. S. Sriram" <ms...@mssriram.com>.
> If you create Subversion repositories, please respond to this survey.
> Follow up to the whole list, not just to me personally.  Keep the same
> subject line, though, so it's easy for people to filter out the
>
>    1. Approximately how many repositories have you created since late
>       January of this year?

2 (and a half-dozen test repositories)

>    2. Were you aware of the `--on-disk-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it does?
>       Do you use it [always|sometimes|never] when you create a
>       new repository?

Yes, yes and no.

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?
>
>    3. Were you aware of the `--in-repos-template' option to
>       'svnadmin create'?  If so, did you understand what it's for?
>       Do you anticipate using it [always|sometimes|never]?

No, no and no. (At least, at the time I created them.)

>       If you weren't aware of it, do you now wish you had been?

Not particularly.

> Thanks!  Any other thoughts about the templates are also welcome, but
> do put them in a separate section from your survey responses.

Our svn server hosts (is expected to host) several repositories, with each
of our customers getting a separate repo. Within this repository, we have
directories for each independent project, each project having its own
{trunk,tags,branches} directory structure. The trunk dir in turn typically
has a standard project skeleton.

As I understand it, the --in-repos-template argument is only useful at repos
creation time; our policy requires the use of an automated tool (currently a
shell script) at project creation time, which is significantly more
frequent, applied to an existing repository.

- Sriram

Re: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Brian Denny <br...@briandenny.net>.
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:09:19AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> My attitude towards this is if a non-zero number of people like it, and
> there are a non-zero number of people who are willing to maintain it, then
> this is a closed matter.

i hope that this isn't considered a sufficient condition for adding any
new subcommand or option.

  "hi, i'd like to add this cool feature called 'interface clutter'
   to subversion.  i'm willing to maintain it, but only if it can go
   into 'svn' proper, none of this wrapper script nonsense..."

-brian

RE: [SURVEY] for repository administrators

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Wednesday, April 16, 2003 2:39 PM +0200 Sander Striker
<st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Personally I would like the feature, so that I can tweak a template
> once at the time I set up my first repository.  When I later want
> to set up another, I don't have to figure out again how I set up my
> earlier repositories.

My attitude towards this is if a non-zero number of people like it, and there
are a non-zero number of people who are willing to maintain it, then this is a
closed matter.  And, I *know* that number is non-zero.  =)

And, anyone who has tried to set-up SubWiki would find this enormously useful.
The silly thing requires a very specific on-disk repository structure (which
isn't documented at all).  If it were shipped with its own on-disk structure
template, wow, it'd be *way* easier to setup.  -- justin