Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/27 05:26:51 UTC

[OT] Tips & Tricks for switching VMs?

Hi, Directory developers,

This is slightly OT but relevant to Directory development.  I need to
test Directory on at least Sun and IBM VM's (re: crypto differences).
I used to simply maintain two workstations for this but now I have
1.4, 1.6, 32-bit, & 64-bit variants for other projects

So, before I launch into something complicated, like a VMware or Xen
setup or try writing a script, I was wondering what other people did.
Perhaps you maintain separate user accounts and ssh to your localhost
to test builds under different user accounts?  Or just use Eclipse
ability to switch JRE's pretty easily and make sure testcases exercise
runtime issues?

One thing I'd like to do is switch VM's and build the same working
copy.  Meaning, I'd rather not have to check-in/check-out of SVN to
replicate changes so that potentially build-breaking commits don't
touch the repo.

Ideas?

Enrique

Re: [OT] Tips & Tricks for switching VMs?

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hey Enrique,

You may want to give JPackage a shot.  You can use the alternatives system to switch java implementations.  Here's how:

/usr/sbin/alternatives --config java

There are 3 programs which provide 'java'.

  Selection    Command
   1           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-gcj/bin/java
 + 2           /opt/jdk1.6.0_01/bin/java
*  3           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java

Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number: 3

As you see above, I just switched to using the JPackage java install, rather than the one I personally installed under /opt....

JPackage also supports IBM and BEA JVMs.

Cheers,
- Ole

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 6/27/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Also let's keep in mind that we don't just want to run integration tests
> inside
> eclipse alone.

Oh, very true. I was not thinking about integration test when I wrote
my mail. I think that Maven allows you to switch the JVM in some sort
of profile. This has to be doublechecked.

We have to make sure the maven CLI driven integration tests
> also work with different JVM configurations when determining if changes do
> not result in breakage of the trunk.

Yes.
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [OT] Tips & Tricks for switching VMs?

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hey Guys,

I think JPackage works for most distributions, but was started by Red Hat, so it's reasonable to assume that Fedora is the primary target.  With Fedora 7 the JPackage utils come installed.  There's a nice tutorial on how to install JPackage Java on Fedora here (I just performed these steps on Fedora 7):

http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4#Install_jpackage.repo_from_JPackage

Cheers,
- Ole

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.