Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1997/03/10 22:12:46 UTC

Major Problem with Apache 1.2b7 (fwd)

Another linux luser.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:26:01 -0500
From: Joseph Possert <jo...@voltec.com>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: Major Problem with Apache 1.2b7

Hello,

	I have what is a really big problem with the Apached HTTP server.
While the server works 95% of the time great it has a major
interaction problem.  There are 2 problems.  The first is that the
server will 'hang' for a few seconds.  This is a documented bug,
however, I don't have a 'heavily' used server by any stretch of the
imagination.  The second bug I can attribute to Apache because it
only shows up when Apache is running or has run since the last
shutdown.  If I run Apache on my Linux box, I see 2 very strange
problems.  1) Network processed that shouldn't even relate to Apache
don't shut down.  For example, I use PPP to connect to other
networks, or other networks connect to me with PPP.  However, PPP
sometimes doesn't shut down when Apache is running.  And yes, it
doesn't shut down even if they don't connect to Apache.  That is to
say, we connect to a network, and no body on that network used their
web browsers to connect to our server.  But the network link still
sometimes (about 1 in 10) won't shut off properly.  If I reboot the
system without Apache this problem goes away.  2) My filesystem gets
corrupted when I run the Apache server.  This happens in serveral
ways.  For example, a computer tries to write to a drive on my Linux
box, and I get a kernel panic error.  Then, I can't shutdown that
process, or any other process.  When I try the sync, or shutdown, or
halt command, my terminal hangs.  If I switch virtual terminals to
restart the hung terminal, I get a kernel panic.  Eventually I just
power off the machine.
	As I said before, this bug is very wierd.  I do know that I've been
running the same kernel since November of 1996 with none of these
problems.  I have not changed, or added anything to the system 1
month before I installed Apache.  And furthermore, I only get this
problem when I am running the Apache server.  This has been a stable
network server for many months now.  That is why I believe Apache has
a bad interaction with something else on my machine.
	I am using Linux 2.0.26 running on an Intel P5-133.  I am using the
Slackware distribution, although I have upgraded some packages, I do
not believe I broke anything.  I am using the new Apache 1.2b7.  I
have not run an earlier version of Apache on our server.  The
computer has 32 MB of memory, although it uses most of it without
Apache.  The disk drives are a comination of SCSI and IDE.  However,
the corruption is not localized to any drive.  Whenever I hard
reboot, a check is forced and problems are found with several
unrelated files on most of the hard drives.
	I check the filesystem regularly on the Linux Box and nothing like
this has ever showed up before I started running Apache.
	I greatly appreciate any help you can give me in fixing this
problem.  If you need further information about my system
configurations please ask.  The syslogs don't report more about the
kernal panic, and I don't have the kernel debug option compiled on
this machine because it does slow down this network server.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Possert
joseph@voltec.com
joseph@voltec.com

(The linuX Files - The Source is Out There)