Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/15 19:14:19 UTC

Re: Lucene and multi-lingual Unicode - advice needed

Hi,

(Since this is an issue you brought up on the Compass forums)

I wonder what stage you are in the development process?
Have you considered SolR, or does compass provide some other
functionality that you need?

The reason I say this, is because the easiest solution might be to use
a nightly SolR for your application.

I'm not personally biased one way or the other for any particular
framework, but recently there has been some improvements added to SolR
so that the default type 'text' is pretty good for multilingual
processing.

In fact I hope in the future it will be improved in lucene so that
your decision is really based upon other application needs...

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

RE: Lucene and multi-lingual Unicode - advice needed

Posted by OBender Hotmail <os...@hotmail.com>.
Yes, thanks! I'll start with a simple one as you described and test on the languages we have at the moment.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
ok, well at first i thought you must be playing a joke on me or something...

Maybe you want to create a lucene analyzer that mimic's solr defaults.

Search the mail archives for this recent thread, and KK posted his code:
Re: How to support stemming and case folding for english content mixed
with non-english content?

Then again, maybe the sample code i gave you (whitespace + lowercase)
is good enough. By the time the company in question manages to get its
Chamorro, Cornish, Blackfoot, and Pashto testers together to evaluate
the search you will be retired :)

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM, OBender
Hotmail<os...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> That's the thing there is no actual requirement.
> I've been presented with all the languages that company theoretically provides.
> My guess is that what I'm going to end up with is all western languages, good share of Arabic family, complete set of Eastern and Eastern European ones and of course CJK.

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

RE: Lucene and multi-lingual Unicode - advice needed

Posted by OBender Hotmail <os...@hotmail.com>.
That's the thing there is no actual requirement.
I've been presented with all the languages that company theoretically provides.
My guess is that what I'm going to end up with is all western languages, good share of Arabic family, complete set of Eastern and Eastern European ones and of course CJK.

Really, you have a requirement that the system should search written Cornish?

I think you might have larger problems!

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM, OBender Hotmail<os...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the list of possible languages. Don't laugh :) I know those are almost all world languages but it is a true requirement. Well, actual number will be closer to 70 not 100 but still I don't really know which ones from the list below will end up in the DB.
>
> -------
> Afrikaans  Albanian Arabic Armenian Austrian Aymara Azerbaijani
> Basque Belorussian Bemba Bengali Blackfoot Bosnian Breton Bulgarian     Canadian French  Catalan Cebuano Chamorro Chinese Chechen Cornish Croatian Czech
> Danish Dutch
> Ecuadorian Quechua  English  English-Portuguese Esperanto Estonian
> Faroese Farsi Finnish Flemish French Frisian
> Galician Georgian German Greek Guarani
> Haitian Creole  Hausa Hawaiian Hebrew Hindi Hungarian Icelandic Indonesian     Inuktitut Irish Italian
> Japanese
> Kazakh Kongo Korean
> Latin Latvian Lithuanian Luganda Luxembourgish
> Macedonian Malagasy Malay Maori Maya Mohawk Mongolian
> Nahuatl Norwegian
> Papago Pashto Pidgin English Polish Portuguese (European)
> Portuguese (Brazilian) Provencal
> Quechua
> Romanian Romansch Romany Ruanda Russian
> Samoan Scottish Sepedi Serbian Shona Sicilian Slovak Slovene Somali    Sorbian Sotho Spanish Swahili Swazi Swedish
> Tagalog Tahitian Thai Tongan Tswana Turkish Turkmen Tuvan
> Ukrainian Urdu Uzbek Vietnamese
> Welsh Wolof
> Xhosa
> Yiddish Yoruba
> Zulu

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: Lucene and multi-lingual Unicode - advice needed

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
Really, you have a requirement that the system should search written Cornish?

I think you might have larger problems!

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM, OBender Hotmail<os...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the list of possible languages. Don't laugh :) I know those are almost all world languages but it is a true requirement. Well, actual number will be closer to 70 not 100 but still I don't really know which ones from the list below will end up in the DB.
>
> -------
> Afrikaans  Albanian Arabic Armenian Austrian Aymara Azerbaijani
> Basque Belorussian Bemba Bengali Blackfoot Bosnian Breton Bulgarian     Canadian French  Catalan Cebuano Chamorro Chinese Chechen Cornish Croatian Czech
> Danish Dutch
> Ecuadorian Quechua  English  English-Portuguese Esperanto Estonian
> Faroese Farsi Finnish Flemish French Frisian
> Galician Georgian German Greek Guarani
> Haitian Creole  Hausa Hawaiian Hebrew Hindi Hungarian Icelandic Indonesian     Inuktitut Irish Italian
> Japanese
> Kazakh Kongo Korean
> Latin Latvian Lithuanian Luganda Luxembourgish
> Macedonian Malagasy Malay Maori Maya Mohawk Mongolian
> Nahuatl Norwegian
> Papago Pashto Pidgin English Polish Portuguese (European)
> Portuguese (Brazilian) Provençal
> Quechua
> Romanian Romansch Romany Ruanda Russian
> Samoan Scottish Sepedi Serbian Shona Sicilian Slovak Slovene Somali    Sorbian Sotho Spanish Swahili Swazi Swedish
> Tagalog Tahitian Thai Tongan Tswana Turkish Turkmen Tuvan
> Ukrainian Urdu Uzbek Vietnamese
> Welsh Wolof
> Xhosa
> Yiddish Yoruba
> Zulu

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

RE: Lucene and multi-lingual Unicode - advice needed

its not too bad, here would be a simple one that only breaks words on
whitespace and lowercases:

public class Example extends Analyzer {
   TokenStream ts = new WhitespaceTokenizer(reader);
   ts = new LowerCaseFilter(ts);
   return ts;
 }
}

can you give a better idea as to what languages you have and what your
search requirements are (accent marks, punctuation, etc etc) ?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM, OBender Hotmail<os...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've looked over SolR quickly, it is a bit too heavy for my project.
> So what is required (at a minimum) to build an analyzer, sandbox has a few of them varying in complexity.

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: Lucene and multi-lingual Unicode - advice needed

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
its not too bad, here would be a simple one that only breaks words on
whitespace and lowercases:

public class Example extends Analyzer {
   TokenStream ts = new WhitespaceTokenizer(reader);
   ts = new LowerCaseFilter(ts);
   return ts;
 }
}

can you give a better idea as to what languages you have and what your
search requirements are (accent marks, punctuation, etc etc) ?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM, OBender Hotmail<os...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've looked over SolR quickly, it is a bit too heavy for my project.
> So what is required (at a minimum) to build an analyzer, sandbox has a few of them varying in complexity.

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

RE: Lucene and multi-lingual Unicode - advice needed

Posted by OBender Hotmail <os...@hotmail.com>.
I've looked over SolR quickly, it is a bit too heavy for my project.
So what is required (at a minimum) to build an analyzer, sandbox has a few of them varying in complexity.

Well just reply back if SolR is inappropriate for your needs.

In that case, you will need to build a custom analyzer (its not too
bad), so that you can use compass.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM, OBender Hotmail<os...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My goal is to find a framework that encapsulates as much low level indexing/search technology as possible and have it integrate nicely with Spring.
> It looked like Compass was/is a good encapsulation of the functionality. I'll take a look at SolR though, thanks for the pointer.

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: Lucene and multi-lingual Unicode - advice needed

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
Well just reply back if SolR is inappropriate for your needs.

In that case, you will need to build a custom analyzer (its not too
bad), so that you can use compass.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM, OBender Hotmail<os...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My goal is to find a framework that encapsulates as much low level indexing/search technology as possible and have it integrate nicely with Spring.
> It looked like Compass was/is a good encapsulation of the functionality. I'll take a look at SolR though, thanks for the pointer.

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

RE: Lucene and multi-lingual Unicode - advice needed

Posted by OBender Hotmail <os...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
Michael, here is the Solr change:

Here is the issue to import it into lucene.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Michael
McCandless<lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Robert Muir<rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not personally biased one way or the other for any particular
>> framework, but recently there has been some improvements added to SolR
>> so that the default type 'text' is pretty good for multilingual
>> processing.
>
> Robert can you describe what these changes are/were, and how one could
> do the same thing as Solr's "text" field, directly with Lucene?
>
> Mike

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: Lucene and multi-lingual Unicode - advice needed

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.