Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ezsra McDonald <ez...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/15 21:43:42 UTC

Re: Tomcat SSL stops working after an undetermined amount of time

Sorry for the delay.

I was finally able to track down the location of the BouncyCastle library.
It is located in the individual application libraries and cannot be
disabled. There are newer versions of BC available and I have asked the
software developers to consider upgrading the applications.

Disabling RSASSA-PSS alone did not work. I had to also disable TLSv1.3. I
tried only disabling TLSv1.3 but the instance continued to show the same
issues. So, I had to disable both.

The error occurred across all browsers. There was some earlier confusion
when I had the HTTPS connector configured incorrectly. Now the connector
works for all browsers initially until one of the apps loads the
BouncyCastle library. At that point the SSL handshake begins to fail for
any browser. Disabling the RSASSA-PSS and TLSv1.3 protocols and ciphers is
a temporary work around. It is my hope that upgrading the BC jar will
resolve the conflicts.

I am open to any other suggestions but for now my instances have stabilized
and I am in a holding pattern waiting for the software developers to
upgrade BC in the individual applications.

Thanks to everyone who assisted me with this issue. I will keep you posted
on results of the BC upgrade.

-Ez

Posted by "Mysore, Raghunath" <rm...@visa.com.INVALID>.
This is  nice to know.
Thank you for the details.
You may want to check the contents of the "java.security" file, to assess,  if they have configured BC like this :

security.provider.10=org.bouncycastle.jce.provider.BouncyCastleProvider

Number 10  can be some other number in your environment.
If you see BC configured in here, you can comment (or remove ) that line.
Recycle the JVM and test again.

Thanks,
-Raghu

> I was finally able to track down the location of the BouncyCastle library.
> It is located in the individual application libraries and cannot be
> disabled. There are newer versions of BC available and I have asked
> the software developers to consider upgrading the applications.
>
> Disabling RSASSA-PSS alone did not work. I had to also disable
> TLSv1.3. I tried only disabling TLSv1.3 but the instance continued to
> show the same issues. So, I had to disable both.
>
> The error occurred across all browsers. There was some earlier
> confusion when I had the HTTPS connector configured incorrectly. Now
> the connector works for all browsers initially until one of the apps
> loads the BouncyCastle library. At that point the SSL handshake begins
> to fail for any browser. Disabling the RSASSA-PSS and TLSv1.3
> protocols and ciphers is a temporary work around. It is my hope that
> upgrading the BC jar will resolve the conflicts.
>
> I am open to any other suggestions but for now my instances have
> stabilized and I am in a holding pattern waiting for the software
> developers to upgrade BC in the individual applications.
>
> Thanks to everyone who assisted me with this issue. I will keep you
> posted on results of the BC upgrade.

Sounds good.

I don't see any place in Tomcat to specify the JSSE provider. Perhaps we should expose that to the administrator in some way.

-chris

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Ezsra,