Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Edgar Merino <do...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/28 19:50:15 UTC

Volatile Image performance

Hello, I've been wondering about this for days, for what I understand
Pivot uses an accelerated offscreen image to paint all of it's
components. So, if I use an ImageView to display a video (continously
changing the Image used everytime one is available) then this operation
will be accelerated, right?

I've tried creating an Accelerated version of the ImageView, using a
VolatileImage offscreen, but I don't see any performance gain by doing
this, so I'm wondering if using an Accelerated ImageView is correct, can
anyone clear this out for me?

I've tried this in both windows and linux, thanks in advance!
Edgar Merino

Re: Volatile Image performance

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all and sorry for the delay ...

> Pivot uses a volatile image to buffer all drawing. However, it's not clear to me just how much of an improvement we actually get from doing this. As I recall, only rectangles are accelerated, and only on Windows. And you risk losing the contents of the buffer if the graphics driver needs the RAM. So you may be OK with just a regular buffered image.

In Java 7 there should be many improvements in the graphics pipeline,
even in Linux and not only for rectangles, I hope we will start to see
some visible improvement.
Some general info on changes in Java 7 here: http://linuxhippy.blogspot.com/

Bye

Re: Volatile Image performance