Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by cleber <cl...@3wcom.com.br> on 2006/08/09 23:42:43 UTC

'svn: Can't copy' when cheking out filenames with spaces

Hi,

I'm using Subversion 1.3 on MacOSX 10.4.7 to check out files from my
server, which is running Subversion 1.3.2 on Linux (Red Hat 9).

A while ago I commited a file with spaces on it's name ( Relatorio de
processos.txt ). To commit this file I had to scape the spaces:

$ svn commit Relatorio\ de\ processos.txt

When I tried to check out the project with the command:

$ svn co -r 2 svn+ssh://svn@172.23.0.6/sofia_agencia/trunk

I got the following error :

svn: Can't copy 'trunk/.svn/tmp/text-base/Relatorio de
processos.txt.svn-base' to 'trunk/Relatorio de processos.txt.tmp': No
such file or directory

I guess it has something to do with the shell trying to interpret the
spaces on the filename.

I tried to checkout the project on a Windows NT box and got the same
error.

A svn move changing the filename (taking out the spaces) on the
server solves the problem, but I would like to be able to use files
with spaces on their names normally. I searched on the archive but
couldn't find anything that applies ( no conflicts between uppercase
and lowercase here).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cleber

Re: 'svn: Can't copy' when cheking out filenames with spaces

Posted by cleber <cl...@3wcom.com.br>.

> On Aug 10, 2006, at 01:42, cleber wrote:
>
>> I'm using Subversion 1.3 on MacOSX 10.4.7 to check out files from
>> my server, which is running Subversion 1.3.2 on Linux (Red Hat 9).
>
>> When I tried to check out the project with the command:
>>
>> $ svn co -r 2 svn+ssh://svn@172.23.0.6/sofia_agencia/trunk
>>
>> I got the following error :
>>
>> svn: Can't copy 'trunk/.svn/tmp/text-base/Relatorio de
>> processos.txt.svn-base' to 'trunk/Relatorio de processos.txt.tmp':
>> No such file or directory
>>
>> I guess it has something to do with the shell trying to interpret
>> the spaces on the filename.
>>
>> I tried to checkout the project on a Windows NT box and got the
>> same error.
>
> No, there's definitely no problem with filenames with spaces. I
> just confirmed that this works fine on Mac OS X 10.4.7.
>
> Are you perhaps instead having a case collision? Although a
> Subversion repository is case-insensitive and has no trouble
> storing a file called "Relatorio de processos.txt" and a file
> called "relatorio de processos.txt" in the same directory, both
> Windows and Mac OS X by default use case-insensitive filesystems
> and cannot handle that situation. Use "svn ls" on the repository
> URL to the relevant directory to see if this is the problem in your
> case. If so, the solution, as you discovered, is to rename one, or
> delete one, in case they're duplicates of one another.

As it turns out, it was a case collision like you said. I didn't
notice it at first due to the large amount of files on the directory.
Thanks for the advice!

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.