Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2009/04/29 17:43:51 UTC

[RT] News section on website?

Hi everyone,

what's your opinion on adding a news section to our website? It's no
secret that there are concerns regarding the liveliness of our project.
I guess this is mainly because our long release cycles and lack of PR
work. Do we generate enough news to post an item maybe once a week?

Some recent candidates:

* Editor usage survey
* Creation of the contributions area
* Firedocs integration

WDYT?

If this idea meets sufficient interest:
 From a technical point of view, I'd suggest to setup a blog somewhere
and syndicate it on the client via xhrGet, so that we don't have to run
the tedious website update after each post. We'd probably have to check
with the infrastructure team if this is OK.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: [RT] News section on website?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Richard Frovarp schrieb:
> Florent André wrote:
>> OK, I don't know this details on the background, thanks.
>>
>> Just some questions for my knowledge :
>> - Why there is just a static site on the official site ?
>>

> I would guess so that infrastructure doesn't have to install
> applications on the server that hosts our sites. I believe most projects
> are of this type (OpenEJB uses Confluence, there may be others).

Yes, exactly. Infra must be able to setup a project site from scratch
without the help of someone from the project. Therefore only their
standard products can be used. IMO this is very reasonable.

>> - The news feed in the lenya official site will be done by the xhrGet
>> ? Why
>> don't use <i:include> (because static) ?
>>
> I don't know. Andreas will have to answer that one.

Since we're talking about static pages served by HTTPD, I see only these

  * Server-side includes (not sure if they are supported)
  * frame/iframe (accessibility issues)
  * XMLHttpRequest (search engine issues, requires JavaScript)

Maybe we should check if server-side includes are supported and use the
XMLHttpRequest approach as a fallback.

-- Andreas

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
<rf...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

[...]

>> heuu... ?? There is a blog module in the Lenya contribution branch, no
??

>> It seem me to know that this module is not really stable (but maybe
>> enough
>> ?), but I think that use a Lenya's module blog for Lenya's news will be
>> more "marketing aware" than use another cms to talk about Lenya cms.
>>
>> Just my little opinion...
>>
>> ++
>>

> Yeah, but the blogging module does not work all that well. I consider
> blogs, wikis, and the 3 types of CMSs to be different enough that you
> use the right one for the job, even if you already have one of them. If
> we are going to blog about our product, it makes sense to use what our
> infrastructure provides, which is Roller. Plus if we did it in Lenya, we
> would have to go through the full update process due to the fact our
> official site is a static site that sits in svn. It does look like it
> would only be the PMC that would be able to update the blog, but it
> would be less work than having to do the export out of zones.

OK, I don't know this details on the background, thanks.

Just some questions for my knowledge :
- Why there is just a static site on the official site ?

- The news feed in the lenya official site will be done by the xhrGet ? Why
don't use <i:include> (because static) ?

I'm interesting in the code to get post from blog.apache.org, if you can
share it.

Thanks for all your answers

Re: [RT] News section on website?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Richard Frovarp schrieb:
> Florent André wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:27:12 -0500, Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

[…]

> If
> we are going to blog about our product, it makes sense to use what our
> infrastructure provides, which is Roller.

That's a good idea, let's request a project blog at blogs.apache.org.

-- Andreas

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
Florent André wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:27:12 -0500, Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> what's your opinion on adding a news section to our website? It's no
>>> secret that there are concerns regarding the liveliness of our
>>> project. I guess this is mainly because our long release cycles and
>>> lack of PR work. Do we generate enough news to post an item maybe once
>>> a week?
>>>
>>> Some recent candidates:
>>>
>>> * Editor usage survey
>>> * Creation of the contributions area
>>> * Firedocs integration
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> If this idea meets sufficient interest:
>>> From a technical point of view, I'd suggest to setup a blog somewhere
>>> and syndicate it on the client via xhrGet, so that we don't have to
>>> run the tedious website update after each post. We'd probably have to
>>> check with the infrastructure team if this is OK.
>>>
>>> -- Andreas
>>>

>> I think that adding a news section to the site would be great. Even more
>> so if we can syndicate it in from somewhere. Wait, ASF has Roller
>> deployed for projects. Maybe we should take advantage of that? If we
>> just use Roller or syndicate it in, either way would work for me. Plus
>> from the infrastructure point of view, at that point it's all ASF.
>>
>> Richard
>>

> heuu... ?? There is a blog module in the Lenya contribution branch, no ??
>
> It seem me to know that this module is not really stable (but maybe enough
> ?), but I think that use a Lenya's module blog for Lenya's news will be
> more "marketing aware" than use another cms to talk about Lenya cms.
>
> Just my little opinion...
>
> ++

Yeah, but the blogging module does not work all that well. I consider
blogs, wikis, and the 3 types of CMSs to be different enough that you
use the right one for the job, even if you already have one of them. If
we are going to blog about our product, it makes sense to use what our
infrastructure provides, which is Roller. Plus if we did it in Lenya, we
would have to go through the full update process due to the fact our
official site is a static site that sits in svn. It does look like it
would only be the PMC that would be able to update the blog, but it
would be less work than having to do the export out of zones.

OpenEJB has a news section on their site that pulls from their project
blog on Roller. They are using Confluence, but there is a precident of
pulling in "outside" content for a news section. http://openejb.apache.org/

Re: [RT] News section on website?

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.