Posted to user@spark.apache.org by johndesuv <de...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/28 16:02:51 UTC

DataFrame from in memory datasets in multiple JVMs

Hi,

I have an application that runs on a series of JVMs that each contain a
subset of a large dataset in memory.  I'd like to use this data in spark and
am looking at ways to use this as a data source in spark without writing the
data to disk as a handoff.

Parallelize doesn't work for me since I need to use the data across all the
JVMs as one DataFrame.

The only option I've come up with so far is to write a custom DataSource
that then transmits the data from each of the JVMs over the network.  This
seems like overkill though.

Is there a simpler solution for getting this data into a DataFrame?

Thanks,
John

Re: DataFrame from in memory datasets in multiple JVMs

Posted by John Desuvio <de...@gmail.com>.
Since the data is in multiple JVMs, only 1 of them can be the driver.   So
I can parallelize the data from 1 of the VMs but don't have a way to do the
same for the others.   Or am I missing something?

Posted by ayan guha <gu...@gmail.com>.
How about parallelize and then union all of them to one data frame?

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 at 3:07 am, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Broadcasts let you send one copy of read only data to each executor.
> That's not the same as a DataFrame and itseems nature means it doesnt make
> sense to think of them as not distributed. But consider things like
> broadcast hash joins which may be what you are looking for if you really
> mean to join on a small DF efficiently.
>
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017, 16:03 johndesuv <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have an application that runs on a series of JVMs that each contain a
> subset of a large dataset in memory.  I'd like to use this data in spark
> and
> am looking at ways to use this as a data source in spark without writing
> the
> data to disk as a handoff.
>
> Parallelize doesn't work for me since I need to use the data across all the
> JVMs as one DataFrame.
>
> The only option I've come up with so far is to write a custom DataSource
> that then transmits the data from each of the JVMs over the network.  This
> seems like overkill though.
>
> Is there a simpler solution for getting this data into a DataFrame?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Best Regards,
Ayan Guha

Re: DataFrame from in memory datasets in multiple JVMs

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.