Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Jason Lingohr <ja...@lucid.net.au> on 2004/06/17 04:35:46 UTC

Dictionaries/spelling standard (if any)

What do we adhere to?  Strict English spelling of English, or the US
variant?

For example, utilization or sation?  Behavior or behaviour?

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Jason

Re: Dictionaries/spelling standard (if any)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Jason Lingohr wrote:

> What do we adhere to?  Strict English spelling of English, or the US
> variant?
>
> For example, utilization or sation?  Behavior or behaviour?
>
> Apologies if this has been covered before.

There is no dictionary or standard.  We have both English and US spellings
in the docs, although US predominates.

My opinion is that it is good to have consistency, but I don't think we
would ever refuse a contribution because it used English spellings.

This issue was discussed once a long time ago.  I believe Ken Coar vetoed
a change where someone was trying to convert a doc to consistent US
spellings.  I didn't agree with that veto at the time, and I still don't.
My opinion is that we should encourage, but not enforce, consistent US
spellings.

Joshua.