Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster <ho...@uuism.net> on 2006/06/25 17:36:58 UTC

Bounced messages for email from forged email addresses for a hosted domain - need opinions

Does it do any good to complain to the ISP that accepted the original email
with a forged email address that uses a domain name that I administer?

I administer a number of domain names that are being used in the forged
email addresses for spam that is sent to recipients on other servers.  Some
people call this a JoeJob.  Obviously, I can't prevent this, although I can
use SPF with HARDFAIL to help the recipient server identify that the email
address has been forged.

The problem is that my server receives numerous bounced messages from the
recipient servers because the recipients do not exist or do not accept the
spam.  Of course, I can reject or delete the bounced messages if the forged
email address does not exist.

However, I would like to be more proactive and complain to the ISP that
accepted the original email.  The bounced message often includes the Full
Headers for the original email message.  Most of these emails originate on
many different IP Addresses.  I assume that these machines are zombies or
part of a network of machines that spammers control.  Will the ISP take
action if they receive a complaint?  The ISPs are all of the world, not
concentrated in one region or country.

Jim
-----
Jim Hermann <ho...@UUism.net>
UUism Networks <http://www.UUism.net>
Ministering to the Needs of Online UUs
Web Hosting, Email Services, Mailing Lists
-----