Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com> on 2008/02/01 09:14:44 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] Customers getting "Page Cannot be Displayed" over SSL

Browser messages are practically worthless - what's in the error log?

Otherwise, guessing... hostname/common-name mismatch, cipher mismatch,
keep-alive problems... you name it.

Is your site top-secret? Because a quick test would tell a lot...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> [...]
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read finished A
> SSL handshake has read 3080 bytes and written 340 bytes
> ---
> New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
> Server public key is 1024 bit
> SSL-Session:
> drop connection and then reconnect
> SSL3 alert write:warning:close notify
> CONNECTED(00000003)
> SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client hello A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read finished A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write finished A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
> ---
> Reused, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
> SSL-Session:
> ---
> drop connection and then reconnect
> SSL3 alert write:warning:close notify
> CONNECTED(00000003)
> SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client hello A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read finished A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write finished A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
> ---
> Reused, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
> SSL-Session:
> ---
> drop connection and then reconnect
> SSL3 alert write:warning:close notify
> CONNECTED(00000003)
> SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client hello A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read finished A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write finished A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
> ---
> Reused, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
> SSL-Session:
> ---
> drop connection and then reconnect
> SSL3 alert write:warning:close notify
> CONNECTED(00000003)
> SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client hello A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read finished A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write finished A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
> ---
> Reused, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
> SSL-Session:
> ---
> drop connection and then reconnect
> SSL3 alert write:warning:close notify
> CONNECTED(00000003)
> SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client hello A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 read finished A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 write finished A
> SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
> ---
> Reused, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.

RE: [users@httpd] Customers getting "Page Cannot be Displayed" over SSL

Posted by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com>.

I hope you didn't expect me to actually *read* the guy's config before responding :-)

...especially since he didn't bother to put in error logs, or version/OS or even a site.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Posted by Douglas Hobaugh <do...@essex3.com>.
Thanks for your response

I do have mod_deflate but I have the setting below for IE which I believe
will only compress html documents.

BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

If I view the headers I sill get Content-Encoding: gzip for css and
Javascript below are the headers for a style sheet, bummer!

Date:             Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:45:11 GMT
Server:           Apache/2.0.50 (Linux/SUSE)
Last-Modified:    Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:32:18 GMT
ETag:             "247d6f-b12-4411cb9be7880"
Accept-Ranges:    bytes
Vary:             Accept-Encoding

I just looked and I have not had any mod_deflate logs since Dec. 2007 but
apache is gzipping, weird.

Doug

> Hi all, I hope this is the correct list. First time posting.
>
> I am getting a lot of customers complaining that they get "Page Cannot
> be Displayed" errors when they connect to our SSL server.

Browser messages are practically worthless - what's in the error log?

Otherwise, guessing... hostname/common-name mismatch, cipher mismatch,
keep-alive problems... you name it.

Is your site top-secret? Because a quick test would tell a lot...

!DSPAM:47a2daf4187442038414371!

RE: [users@httpd] Customers getting "Page Cannot be Displayed" over SSL