Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2015/03/11 09:09:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] VR Password server improvement and expiring

Hi,

I've sent a pull request that replaces the bash/socat based password
server with a Python based server that is backward compatible. In future
I'll be working on an VR-agents framework to make resetting
password/publickeys more secure.

Right now when reset password is called, the password server is sent
over HTTP (unencrypted) and does not expiry until the user VM sends an
acknowledgement back to the VR.

JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-8272
PR: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/106

I need your comment on the following proposal:

1. If a password has been served by the password server, we expire it
within next 15 minutes (or suggest other values) if acknowledgement is
not received.

2. If a password is not served by the password server in next 1-24 hours
(because the VM was in stopped state and was never started to receive
new password and send ack to remove it from VR) it gets expired. What
should be a good enough time period, 1 hour? 4 hours? 1 day?
Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 8826230892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
PS. If you see any footer below, I did not add it :)

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: [DISCUSS] VR Password server improvement and expiring

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@apache.org>.
When the password is taken and acknowledge from the VR it should be
destroyed immediately from the VR and as it is currently, I think. Are you
planning to implement SSL capability as well since it as been brought on
the ML recently ?

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Wido and everyone,

Thanks for the suggestion, supporting ipv6 can be easily done though I’m not sure which interface/IPv6 address to listen on.

Though, this is tricky as not all networks would have an interface with ipv6 enabled (unless say an admin deploys a shared network with ipv6 address space). Can there be a case where in a VR the password server should listen and serve on both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

So should we:

1. listen on all interface instead of just VR IPv4 IP, passwords are only served based on client’s address
2. listen on passed IPV4 IP, but for IPv6 listen on “::” address?
3. or, expect mgmt server to pass appropriate IPv6 address to listen on and only then listen on it

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
> Lucian - in the proposal what I meant to say was that in case a password was
> sent to a user VM but the user VM does not respond with an ack (so as to remove
> the password from its storage/memory) should it expiry it after a period of say
> 15 mins?

Rohit, seeing that there is logic built into these scripts, then the expected action would be to just wait for the script's ACK indefinitely.
If the ACK doesn't come it means the VM is either crashed, or stopped (waiting to be started when the customer wants) etc; there is a reason behind it.

> Pierre - I would be happy to implement a SSL based http server which is my next
> step though I’m not sure about the logistics of adding the SSL scripts etc,
> which could be similar how it is done for the CPVM/SSVM. The first step is to
> remove bash/socat based password server with a Python based server that uses
> Threads instead of Forks (so less memory intensive) and cleans up properly.

+1 for SSL, particularly important in basic and adv+sg zones.

Personally I would not change the current implementation since it works well, although I could see why you would want to as a programmer.
Also, by using a proper programming language you've just locked out non-programmers (like me) from being able to debug problems with it - not necessarilly a good argument though.

One advantage of the current implementation is that socat can be very easily made to serve SSL http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/doc/socat-openssltunnel.html , we might end up using socat with your program, too.

Lucian

Re: [DISCUSS] VR Password server improvement and expiring

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi Wido,

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.