Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick Pappas <nw...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/20 22:08:11 UTC

[users@httpd] Installing a "slim" 1.3?

Hello all.

Can anyone direct me to a good resource to trimming down Apache 1.3 to
be as small as possible for my needs?  I'd like to disable as much of
the server as possible both to reduce the footprint of the server and
to avoid potential linking errors in compiling on a very minimal Linux
install.

This is mainly a development site, possibly serving "full sized"
versions of pictures in my image gallery, to the public.  PHP, maybe
SSL, and MySQL are the only things I really need to be access through
the web server.  I'd like to trim out as much as I can to save space,
memory and cpu usage for the stuff I will never use.

I will be attempting to install the server on a modified LinkStation
(http://www.buffalotech.com), which has a MIPS processor running at
400MHz and has 64MB of RAM.  The box is meant to be a file server and
runs a very basic version of Linux.  A power house this is not, but
should be very capable to run what I'm wanting it for.

I've thought about 2.0, but my web host uses 1.3 and I'd like to
remain with what they use.  2.0 would let me browse my Subversion
repository over the web, but that isn't a good enough reason. :)

Thanks for any help!

--
Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
yourself either.

Re: [users@httpd] Installing a "slim" 1.3?

Posted by Nick Pappas <nw...@gmail.com>.
On 7/20/05, Dan Trainor <in...@hostinthebox.net> wrote:
> When I'm all done, I'll be posting my procedures for the masses, because
> this whole thing has been such a pain in the ass.  The docs should be
> done in about a week.

Thanks Dan, I look forward to the report!

I'll be trying my hand at compiling Apache in the mean time w/ few
modifications.  When you release your doc I'll do another compile --
be interesting to see the two in comparison! :)

Posted by Dan Trainor <in...@hostinthebox.net>.
Nick Pappas wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Can anyone direct me to a good resource to trimming down Apache 1.3 to
> be as small as possible for my needs?  I'd like to disable as much of
> the server as possible both to reduce the footprint of the server and
> to avoid potential linking errors in compiling on a very minimal Linux
> install.
>
> This is mainly a development site, possibly serving "full sized"
> versions of pictures in my image gallery, to the public.  PHP, maybe
> SSL, and MySQL are the only things I really need to be access through
> the web server.  I'd like to trim out as much as I can to save space,
> memory and cpu usage for the stuff I will never use.
>
> I will be attempting to install the server on a modified LinkStation
> (http://www.buffalotech.com), which has a MIPS processor running at
> 400MHz and has 64MB of RAM.  The box is meant to be a file server and
> runs a very basic version of Linux.  A power house this is not, but
> should be very capable to run what I'm wanting it for.
>
> I've thought about 2.0, but my web host uses 1.3 and I'd like to
> remain with what they use.  2.0 would let me browse my Subversion
> repository over the web, but that isn't a good enough reason. :)
>
> Thanks for any help!

Hello, Nick -

I've been working on this for a few embedded systems that we're working
with, and I've managed to make a ~380M CentOS install that's fully
functional, along with a ~300k Apache 2.0.54 install, and adding my
special PHP 5.0.4 is another ~1M.

When I'm all done, I'll be posting my procedures for the masses, because
this whole thing has been such a pain in the ass.  The docs should be
done in about a week.

Hope that helps
-dant