Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Sander Striker <st...@samba-tng.org> on 2001/06/03 20:02:20 UTC

Legal issues, DES

Hi,

Maybe a bit off topic, but are there still legal issues with
DES implementations? I mean, if someone submitted a patch
would it be possible to include des in apr-util/crypto, or
would this be problematic. DES is still in use in a variety
of things, so providing the functionality wouldn't be that
strange I think.

Thoughts anyone,

Sander

Re: Legal issues, DES

Posted by Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lk...@samba-tng.org>.
these days, if you are in the u.s.:
all you need to do is send off an email
and a copy of the code in question to the correct
authorities.

that automatically grants authorisation to distribute
said code, under an open source license.

luke

Re: Legal issues, DES

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 02:16:48PM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Sander Striker wrote:
>
> > Maybe a bit off topic, but are there still legal issues with
> > DES implementations? I mean, if someone submitted a patch
> > would it be possible to include des in apr-util/crypto, or
> > would this be problematic. DES is still in use in a variety
> > of things, so providing the functionality wouldn't be that
> > strange I think.
>
> Legal issues aside, my only worry is that we seem to be duplicating more
> and more of the effort of the OpenSSL team...

I don't think there are legal issues, but crypt() is widely available. I
really don't think it should be in APRUTIL.

As I said before: on platforms where crypt() might /not/ be available,
applications should just use SHA1 or MD5 hashing instead of DES. And yes, I
realize that legacy apps may need crypt() on those poor platforms; but that
is such a minority, that I'd rather not see it in APR.

We have the APR_HAS_* macros for a reason. In this case, APR_HAS_CRYPT would
be zero.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Legal issues, DES

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Sander Striker wrote:

> Maybe a bit off topic, but are there still legal issues with
> DES implementations? I mean, if someone submitted a patch
> would it be possible to include des in apr-util/crypto, or
> would this be problematic. DES is still in use in a variety
> of things, so providing the functionality wouldn't be that
> strange I think.

Legal issues aside, my only worry is that we seem to be duplicating more
and more of the effort of the OpenSSL team...

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA